Is This Good/Decent Video Card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstpaintball

Well I'd love to have a new shiny x800 or 6800, but I don't think thats gonna happen right now so I'm looking at the 5700's right now, from what I've heard they're not too bad.

So what do you guys think of this one?

http://www.buyxtremegear.com/vc127114.html

Does this seem like a good deal? It says its the "Ultra" version, so I guess its a little better than the regular 5700's, and probably a lot better than the 5700LE's.

I really just need something that will run games like BF1942, Call of Duty, etc well for now.
BF1942 runs terriable on my MX440.

Heres a few of my PC Specs if you need them.
Sony Vaio RX-881
P4 2.66ghz
512mb DDR
120gig HD 7200rpm
Geforce4 MX440
YAMAHA AC-XG Audio - I plan on upgrading this too, probably to a cheap Sound Blaster card or something. Audio on some games tends to do some light snap crackle and pop (kinda like the cereal).

Thanks

Everything Ive heard about the 5700 Ultra has been good. I think Maximum PC had it as their best budget card. Thats also a really good price. They are usually $160-170.

Not that familiar with the card but based on specs alone coupled with those of your box, you should have not problem running the games and programs you want to.

The 5700 Ulta is great piece of kit. They are not common pieces of kit as they were quickly overshadowed by the 5900xt. Mine will happily play Far Cry @ 1024*768 with everything on high or very high (ultra high for the water effects :D).

While I would happily recommend you the 5700 Ultra, I think the 5900XT might be a better choice.

Steg

Look at it this way - If you spend the extra $50 now, your not going to be itching to spend another $200 on a new VC as soon as you would not spending the extra $50 ;)

The Gainward card is pretty good as it comes overclocked out of the box. The bundle isn't the greatest available but at least you're not stuck with games you allready have or games you never liked in the first place.:)

Just thought about something....

I have a regular Vaio Case, and the stock cooling fans, etc in it.
Should I get some better fans/heatsinks or something? Or does anyone think I'll be alright.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back