Is upgrading the processor really worth it?

bornhackerx

So i bought a Toshiba Satellite A105-S1712 about a month ago off craigslist for the incredible price of 95$. The person sold it because it had a virus, I easily formatted the comp, to XP. Over the month, I replaced Keyboard and Battery. I also added 512MB of ram.

Question.
I checked the socket and found that this processor,
" Intel Pentium IV/4/P4 CPU 2.4GHz, SL6RZ PPGA478 Intel32 '533 MHz
Fits onto my laptop. Right now the processor is an Intel Celeron 1.6Ghz '400MHz, Now I am wondering, If I go through the trouble of replacing this part, Will I notice a difference in computer speed, and game speed. I am hoping to resell this laptop some time, and could possible sell for a lot more money than I paid for it.

The processor is only 12$.

Thanks for answering, also other upgrade alternatives will be appreciated.

'Links will take to the Specifications page.

Personally there's no way I would have bought that for 95$ with the intent of ever reselling it. There are atoms cpu's that are just as fast as that p4 and they're on netbooks, more portable, newer too. Don't plan on any blazing speed increases even with the upgrade, to keep it simple.

Netbooks do not include CD Drives, and have way to small of a screen for me. So the upgrade won't do anything?

The only reason I bought it is because the person who sold it to me lied, and told me it was upgraded. But from what I see on craigslist laptops, this is pretty cheap.

You could probably play sims and older games on it, it would still be pretty slow with the old integrated graphics. That's about the right price for what you got either way. Its good music and basic movies. The upgraded cpu wont help you much because you're mostly limited by the graphics in this case. Even with the p4 it would be good for music and videos. I wouldnt get my hopes up about playing anything released within the last 3 years.

Well, at least with that specific P4 the processor performance will actually be directly at par performance-wise, with those basic Atom processors (referring to the single core variant) that the netbooks usually have. Those Atom 230's are actually faster than the Toshiba's Intel Celeron 1.6Ghz 400Mhz FSB.

Since also i have gone thru quite some old pc's and still have a few that are even older than your lappy, and do these upgrade things a lot with a specific view of hobbying about as well as funding the hobby by reselling them eventually (thirld world country here, still sufficient buyers of P4s although new or current 2010 units are definitely hotter-selling)- so i suppose i would be sufficiently experiened to directly address the question at hand: i would go for the proc upgrade costing USD12.00 if there was still a possibility of selling the lappy's original Celeron Processor. That is, reselling the Celeron even at most any low-down price (say USD3.00? or higher of course is better).

Back