Is worth installing Windows on a new HDD?

MIXEDD

Hello good people, I have recently bought a new Seagate 500gb hard drive. I have a 3 year old SATA hard drive and I'm thinking installing Windows on a new hardrive. And my question is is it worh istalling windows on new hardrive? Will I fell a lot more performace?

Both HDD's are 7200RPM.

You would measure a faster performance - maybe 20%, but there would be absolutely no feeling of being faster.

I would recommend you simply add the new drive (which would appear as D: or possibly another letter). There are significant advantages in having a separate drive.

1. For backup. Having a second drive enables far faster and more secure backups then removeable media, although removable backups (at another location) of higly irreplaceable data is still needed.

2. For storing a 'drive image' of your current Windows drive which enables restore in minutes instead of days if your first drive fails, becomes corrupted or infected by malware.

3. Backing up a vital drive (the OS) drive which never gets large is far, far faster than one gigantic drive.

4.Having OS and data on separate drives can give a significantly faster feel because the two drives work independantly.

You would measure a faster performance - maybe 20%, but there would be absolutely no feeling of being faster.

I would recommend you simply add the new drive (which would appear as D: or possibly another letter). There are significant advantages in having a separate drive.

1. For backup. Having a second drive enables far faster and more secure backups then removeable media, although removable backups (at another location) of higly irreplaceable data is still needed.

2. For storing a 'drive image' of your current Windows drive which enables restore in minutes instead of days if your first drive fails, becomes corrupted or infected by malware.

3. Backing up a vital drive (the OS) drive which never gets large is far, far faster than one gigantic drive.

4.Having OS and data on separate drives can give a significantly faster feel because the two drives work independantly.

Let me make a point. What MIXEDD said is probably one of those people are still learning on how to use computer.

Some of those people don't really care about performance, they just rely on the number of gigabytes that was available to them in cheap price. (Most of computer stores actually rips people off by doing these without explaining the similar topic as gbhall's. ) the owner of computers, in later time after purchasing the hdd will probably realize that it's way too late to get refund on that. )

End rant.

Back to topic, if this could help, buying and pairing the SSD to the existing hdds will make the biggest difference on the performances, despite of their prices. If you can wait a little longer, you'll be seeing 2TB running on 7200RPM going under 100 bucks soon enough.

Thank you for your help gbhall :). And you bushwhacker all I can say that you are very rude and also very wrong, that's all I can say...

Thank you for your help gbhall :). And you bushwhacker all I can say that you are very rude and also very wrong, that's all I can say...

Sorry, it's just that what people usually do, by asking stupid questions without doing the proper research.

Hoo-yah!

I don't really understand what just happened here...

So I'll just reply with my own thoughts.

First, I think we need some more details - You just bought a 500 Gb SATA, its replacing a SATA, but specific drives will be needed to determine if you are going to get any performance increase. You may not "feel" one as was said, but you will see one if you transfer files several Gb in size if the new drive is faster. But again, we'll need to know the drives. 500Gb "generally" in SATA drives isn't that new..

Now, also in general the larger size the drive is faster it is. This is simply because of the density of data, the read heads don't have to move as far, or the drive spin as fast, to access more data in the same period of time. But there are of course exceptions - a lot of the new 2TB drives are "green" drives, and they will not be as fast as smaller drives that are intended to be fast, like a velociraptor or even a caviar black.

Back