ISA modem card installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have just re-formatted a computer that has an ISA modem card, originally it did work, but now I cannot seem to pick up the card no matter what I do.
I have changed the BIOS settings for the IRQ to ISA settings, but nothing I do seems to work.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

Many thanks

Harare

Check if there are any jumpers on that modem-card.
Try COM3 or COM4.
You will also need modem-drivers for it. Download from the manufacturer's website.

Hi
Thanks, there are jumpers on the card, set at IRQ 3 COM 4. But the computer doesn't pick up the card.
The only thing that seems to happen when the card is in place it chages the settings on COM 1 and COM 2.
I have downloaded several lots of drivers but they don't seem to work.
Any more advice?

Older ISA cards are not plug and play. You are lucky if it gets picked up by the "Add new hardware" scan. Using several drivers is pointless. Just get the correct drivers and use those :p

When I use Add/Remove hardware it only gives me COM1 & 2 as available ports, how do I setup the modem if its for COM3 or 4

Thanks

You don't have to do anything with the ports. Forget about the ports - they are only needed for dialup software. It is the modem you have to install and the extra port will be created automatically with the modem. The modem is not for COM3 or COM4 the modem is the third serial port once you get it working.

Switching out to pci

If it is at all possible and you happen to be
somewhere you can get one, you may want to
consider switching out to pci,
it may prove to leave you with more hair. :grinthumb
I've seen them for as low as $15.00 usd here.
G'Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back