Issues regarding HP-nx9420

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello techies, currently having an issue with my laptop (Compaq nx9420) and hoping you guys maybe able to provide some insight and save me the $300 trip to the tech office :)

Problem is with the video card i believe. On boot-up the computer runs fine, no strange sounds, fan is running etc... After use however it ends appearing to "crash" to a black screen, however sounds still functions which leads me to believe it's not completely crashing. no windows errors on reboot, anything [General use times internet browsing-30 min video-10 games-instant fail]

I recently replaced the video card (burnt it out thanks to WoW) with an exact copy, new thermal paste/pads. Updated the driver's and problem persists, tried outputting it onto 2 different monitor's, no change. Immediately thought it was an overheating problem again, opened it back up to try and get some air moving through, no real change. So i decided to put a personal fan blowing next to the comp pretty much 24/7, this seems to have extended the life, but minimally (getting about an extra 5 min of work).

Decided i needed to see how long i could run it without crashing it (~50min of computer idling (no screensaver just sitting on desktop) Then just to check myself again gave it some time to chill and rebooted again, this time immediately launched borderland's after startup and immediately crashed myself. Both times i stuck my hand inside, felt both cooling units [metal pipe like things coming off video card/processor] (not even milidly hot) and checked that the fan was running constantly. Just at the end of my rope i guess, any idea's tip's, would be greatly appreciated, especially if they can save me a few hundred bucks :D

Update- Windows isnt letting me do anything now. Start up computer and im greeted by the window's loading logo, however before it gets to the log-in screen it's going straight to a black screen. Decided i was sick of dicking around so i tried a fresh window's install, got me nowehere. Select option for a fresh install and window's tells me i have no hard-drive installed. Just out of idea's now...

Absolutely, as according to HP that notebook has 100GB SATA drive; and windows xp does not have SATA drivers; therefore; you need to download sata drivers for your notebook from hp site and provide these through floppy to windows during setup, or you can slipstream them on the windows xp cd (you'll need to make a new windows xp setup cd though).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back