Issues with sound

TearsInHvn

I have windows 7 laptop. Weird issue. The sound doesn't work to playback anything, but I hear the start up.
I have uninstalled/reinstalled drivers. I have noticed that it's missing from the defaults in playback properties as well, but I will say that even when it was there, it wasn't working. I tried formatting my laptop and all. Why do I hear start-up, but nothing else?

Device Manager? Errors in Event Viewer? Startup sound - description?

"Why do I hear start-up, but nothing else?" Offhand, I think you have a broken audio chip - but if you can give more detail we might come up with something.

You might check the manual - which you can probably download from manufacturer if you do not have it.

On "Playback Devices" - any hidden or disabled? Mute confirmed is OFF in both device volume mixer and in Windows taskbar.

YES! I have an asus laptop, and when I start it upm I hear the explosion sound. Headsets work with no issues. I was listening to music one day and messing with realplayer and then poof, no sound. Went through all the settings because I'm techy too, but nothing I can think of off hand. Thought I'd ask here because a second set of "eyes" on it works out well.

Thanks in advance!

Please enter your Administrative account and check:
- Device Manager: select VIEW, select show hidden
- check Sound Video & Game Controllers - what do you show?
- check Audio Inputs & Outputs - what do you show?

Some folks have found that removing all of the drivers/devices allows the system to re-install them. This, of course, will only work if there is a recognized device.

If not, try removing charger and battery and hitting power button as if to start. Then put battery & charger back and reboot into SAFE mode.

If there is no discovered device, then I think there is a hardware failure.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/3101-73-suddenly-laptop-sound

Back