Jensen Huang named one of Time's most influential people, gets his own cover

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? Time's 100 most influential people of 2021 list has arrived. Elon Musk and Tim Cook are two big tech names to make appearances, but the biggest honor goes to Nvidia CEO Jensen Huang, who was not only included but also one of seven people to get their own front cover.

Nvidia has reached the point where even many non-techies know the company's name. Its graphics cards dominate the industry, as reflected in the Steam survey, while the Tegra SoC continues to power the Nintendo Switch—the firm's effect on the gaming industry can definitely be described as influential. There are also its business/science-focused products, Nvidia Shield, vehicle systems, GeForce Now, and more.

Andrew Ng, a founder of DeepLearning.AI, highlights Nvidia's artificial intelligence work in Huang's bio, where he describes him as one of the world's most technically savvy CEOs.

Huang completed his master's degree in electrical engineering from Stanford University in 1992 before co-founding Nvidia in 1993. He has been CEO ever since. Huang is also set to receive the Robert N. Noyce Award on November 18, considered the semiconductor industry's highest honor.

Nvidia's share price was hovering around $4 in 2011. Today, it is $223. The company has a market cap of $558.53 billion, and it continues with its acquisition of Arm, though regulatory hurdles could stop that from happening.

Elsewhere on the list, Elon Musk, the CEO of Tesla and SpaceX and founder of several other companies, is also one of Time's top innovators. Tim Cook, meanwhile, falls into the Titan category.

AMD boss Lisa Su is one noticeably absent name, despite helping turn the company's fortunes around in recent years with the launch of the Zen architecture. She topped the highest-paid CEO list in 2019.

Permalink to story.

I hate nVidia as a company but they makes damm good gaming GPU's and this guy is probably one of the best CEO's out there....

Tim Cook, meanwhile, falls into the Titan category.
Tim Cook falls into the corporate rat category, who dedicated his life to climbing up a corporate ladder, and has no personal accomplishments in the technology sector in which he prospered financially, he is all about just making money, keep jumping various director boards and playing a good boy.

Last edited:
Lets see, one CEO keeps directing his company to do anti-consumer and anti-competitive maneuvers and products that affect even their own customers and is placed on the cover of Time Mag.

The other CEO, on a shoestring budget, is successfully waging a war against the two dirties and richest corporation in the field and doesnt even get mentioned.

Fair and balanced, as it must be...I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
And in other news AMD loyalist died a little inside upon hearing Jensen Huang named in top 100 most influential people.

Lisa Su doesn’t deserve such an accolade. There are hundreds of CEOs who should achieve it before her. She’s done well turning AMDs fortunes around but she couldn’t have done it without the help of TSMC and arguably Intel for dropping the ball on their fabrication efforts.

AMD is tiny compared to Apple, Nvidia or Intel etc. It’s absurd to expect her to get a cover on Time as an influencer.

I really hope Nvidia doesn't get approval to buyout Arm.
I've been wondering if they are actually expecting to get it, the whole approval process has been slow and some regulators have barely started to examine the documentation. The ongoing commercial war between the US and China certainly doesn't help, Nvidia is an American company and if they were to acquire ARM the US government might very well attempt to restrict Chinese access to ARM IP.

Congratulations to Jensen Huang for making it in the Times list, anyway.

Knowing that Time is an extremely biased publication that only features people they deem worthy, who are often nefarious, controversial, or otherwise infamous, this seems apropos.

Lisa Su doesn’t deserve such an accolade. There are hundreds of CEOs who should achieve it before her. She’s done well turning AMDs fortunes around but she couldn’t have done it without the help of TSMC and arguably Intel for dropping the ball on their fabrication efforts.

AMD is tiny compared to Apple, Nvidia or Intel etc. It’s absurd to expect her to get a cover on Time as an influencer.

I think that's a good reason if any. being completely the under dog, but still putting a stamp on the landscape. Also, how many times did AMD release new tech for their GPUs which forced Nvidia to release and unlock the alternative on their own cards. AMD are pushing the other companies to be better for their markets.

I think that's a good reason if any. being completely the under dog, but still putting a stamp on the landscape. Also, how many times did AMD release new tech for their GPUs which forced Nvidia to release and unlock the alternative on their own cards. AMD are pushing the other companies to be better for their markets.
No it’s not a good reason. She’s not an influencer. She’s been successful yes but the company she has been successful for isn’t big enough to achieve that accolade.

No it’s not a good reason. She’s not an influencer. She’s been successful yes but the company she has been successful for isn’t big enough to achieve that accolade.
I don't feel that determining a person is successful/ an influencer should be determined by the size of the company. Look at Tim Cook. Did he make Apple successful? He basically inherited it from Steve and just continued on in a boring way since the day he took over. The only credit I can give him is that he did not turn it upside down.

Jensen made Nvidia grew into a massive power house in the hardware space, but he did not take over when the ship was sinking, like AMD. While growing a company is not easy, turning a soon to go bankrupt company back from the brink is an even bigger achievement in my opinion. You can say that Intel dropped the ball giving AMD the opportunity, but you can also say that the other GPU makers dropped the ball, so Nvidia thrived. So to say that AMD thrived because Intel dropped the ball is moot. This is competition. You snooze, you lose.

Correction:

Nvidia's stock was $4 in 2011, today it's $892 BEFORE the 4-1 stock split. $223 is after the stock split. That's 223 times gains! Suffice it to say if you put a measly $5000 in 2011, you'd have $1.15 million dollars today.

Back