John McAfee arrested in Guatemala, facing expulsion back to Belize

Shawn Knight

Staff member

John McAfee, founder of the security firm by the same last name, has been arrested in Guatemala after he reportedly entered the country illegally. He was taken into custody at a hotel in Guatemala City after trying to seek asylum from Belize where he is a person of interested in the murder of a fellow expatriate.

Guatemala Interior Minister Mauricio Lopez Bonilla told Reuters that McAfee is facing expulsion back to Belize. His lawyer, Karla Paz, said his request to stay in the country has been denied.

software mcafee guatemala

The former software engineer has been on the run for nearly a month, evading authorities in Belize yet keeping in touch with supporters via Twitter and maintaining contact with the outside world through tech journalists and dozens of mobile phone accounts.

He is not wanted for any crime although authorities believe he is a person of interest. His former neighbor, American businessman Gregory Faull, was found dead roughly three weeks ago. According to reports, Faull was shot in the head with a 9mm round.

For his part, McAfee is convinced that if Belize authorities take him into custody, they will kill him. The prime minister of Belize has already publically stated that wouldn’t happen, instead calling McAfee “bonkers.”

McAfee started one of the first anti-virus software firms way back in 1987. He eventually sold his share in the company in 1994 and hasn’t been associated with them since. At its peak, estimates put McAfee’s net worth at around $100 million. 16 years later, McAfee was purchased by Intel for $7.7 billion.

Permalink to story.

How in the world does someone that looks so unintelligent become so successful?
haha I mean seriously, he looks like the anti-typical-software nerd.

All that running away does is make you look even worse.

The last time I used McAfee was back in 2004... and after that exprience I think its good he was arrested.

Because you just broke one of the golden rules never judge a book by its cover.

Looks do not equal intelligence or your potential to earn money unless your a hooker which only the latter part matters.

Because you just broke one of the golden rules never judge a book by its cover.

Looks do not equal intelligence or your potential to earn money unless your a hooker which only the latter part matters.
it was a rhetorical question...I was joking around. I am well aware that appearance is completely irrelevant to general intelligence.

Haha, programmers and computer gurus used to have that hippie appearance, or something similar

The next Deus Ex game character will be modelled after the image in this article. ;)

Haha Dues Ex! that's what comes into my mind by the time I saw the picture in this article....
:D

On April 30, 2012, McAfee's property in Orange Walk Town, Belize, was raided by the Gang Suppression Unit. A GSU press release stated that McAfee was arrested for unlicensed drug manufacturing and possession of an unlicensed weapon.He was released without charge. In 2012, Belize police spokesman Raphael Martinez confirmed that he was not convicted nor charged but only suspected

Sounds like the law has been interested in him for a while... maybe his neighbor was killed to set him up?

Not a conspiracy theorist or anything, :D

Back