Jony Ive said to be pushing for a 'flat design' in iOS 7

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Apple announced a major management shakeup last October that saw senior vice president of industrial design Jony Ive replace Scott Forstall as head of the human interface teams. Most believe this move would ultimately lead to a redesign of iOS and according to several people familiar with the process as reported by The Wall Street Journal, plenty of progress is being made.

Nobody would be surprised to learn that Apple is a very secretive company but sources say that even some of Apple’s most esteemed iOS designers were traditionally cut out of the loop with regards to new devices their software would power. That dynamic, however, is reportedly changing as collaboration between different divisions is opening up more than ever.

One notable example of this is that Ive is now sitting in on the human interface team’s review sessions in an effort to run new ideas by the team. The iOS team is currently led by Greg Christie, an Apple employee that used to be under Forstall. He is described as a blunt talker with a very different opinion on style compared to Ive. Meetings involving the two, however, have been described as pleasant and cordial.

Looking towards the future, some of the sources said Ive is pushing for a more “flat” design in the next version of iOS. This design is described as being starker and simpler but overall, any changes are expected to be pretty conservative.

Apple typically showcases new software during their Worldwide Developers Conference held each year in June. With any luck, we’ll get a glimpse of what’s to come and any subtle design changes at that time.

Permalink to story.

Why would Apple get on the no-style, anti-design bandwagon? Haven't they learned anything from Microsoft's mistakes?

Flat? What does that even MEAN?! Well, here are some of my ideas on the subject:

- Affect-flat: :) will change to :|

- No (more) carbonation!

- It will no longer be able to map the eart-- uh -- wait a second...

- One price point for everyone (yeah, right...)

- What the thing will end up being once you've tried to use it for about ten minutes...

- What the Brits call it -- because it's about the same monthly rent as one...

- Like the desert -- flat, dry, and featureless

- Like the tops of the heads of the engineering team...

- Like Apple's next quarter...

- Like my current emotional state

Oh, jeez. Well, here's what was supposed to have ended up in my last message.

- No (more) carbonation!

- It will no longer be able to map the eart-- uh -- wait a second...

- One price point for everyone (yeah, right...)

- What the thing will end up being once you've tried to use it for about ten minutes...

- What the Brits call it -- because it's about the same monthly rent as one...

- Like the desert -- flat, dry, and featureless

- Like the tops of the heads of the engineering team...

- Like Apple's next quarter...

- Like my current emotional state[/quote]

Why would Apple get on the no-style, anti-design bandwagon? Haven't they learned anything from Microsoft's mistakes?
It seems to be the in thing. Android's the same. I prefer a flashy interface myself but is it necessary? It's kinda like asking why the new S4 is mainly plastic & not exotic metals? I think I may have the answer... to keep prices in check. I'm not sure if the same rule applies to an OS though.

I think part of the reason why apples market share is slipping in the mobile market is that people are just getting tired of looking at it. It hasn't changed since the first iPhone and in many ways, the iPod video/nano. I don't know how long people can look at IOS, but for me it was about a year on my first Gen iPod touch. For now, though, I love the windows phone 8 minimalist monotone blockyness.

Apple: "Hey look those guys at Microsoft came up with the idea of making flat looking buttons. Let's take that idea and try and make it seem like we came up with it and try to make it even more simplistic."

I like easy no flashy os's myself and so do most people. Case in point is windows 8 they went all flashy and its bombing. I think this guy knows what is doing. I'm personally happy with my very functional and non crashing same old iPhone. If you all want change switch to android. I think some of you play on these things to much

I like easy no flashy os's myself and so do most people. Case in point is windows 8 they went all flashy and its bombing. I think this guy knows what is doing. I'm personally happy with my very functional and non crashing same old iPhone. If you all want change switch to android. I think some of you play on these things to much
Huh? Windows 8 is very flat and simple both on the desktop UI and Modern UI. Just compare the Windows 7 desktop UI to the Windows 8 desktop UI.

Too late, Apple. A 'flat' iOS should have been released with the iPhone 4. The actual device is a whole lot 'flatter' than the rounded shape of the previous generations.

Windows phone does have a beautiful GUI, but it just doesn't have the app support for me to be willing too buy one. (To be clear, not a fanboy, about to switch from iOS to Android this weekend)

Windows phone does have a beautiful GUI, but it just doesn't have the app support for me to be willing too buy one. (To be clear, not a fanboy, about to switch from iOS to Android this weekend)
Have you considered how much you even use apps on your phone? I've been using a Lumia 800 with WP 7.5/7.8 since Sept. 2012 and I find that the built-in functionality/apps are enough for me. Although, I'm not really much of an "app" type of person anyway.

Does this mean every other phone maker has to make "curved" devices because Apple will own the patent on "flat"?

Don't know if it's just me, but I already considered the GUI to be pretty 'flat'. All there is to it is skeuomorphism (it's flat..) and that stupid attempt to make everything glossy. It's a 7 yr old concept, and it shows - therefore it's 'flat' to me.

Back