just a quick question on xp mce and max storage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

resu

Hi,

I remember reading a while back that windows could only support a certain amount of Gb s in one place on the master drive
i think it was 160gb or something like that
ive recently decided to build a media center pc and i have bought a 320gb sata drive to be the main and only (for now) drive
I was just wondering what is the actual maximum size for the master drive in windows and what/ how how do i partition the drive as a fresh drive?

i think i know about partitioning but i am not sure .. usually id play it by ear but as the parts area arriving tonight and i have limited time to build it id like to get the questions out of the way 1st :D

thanks for your time

Cheers

No limit to drive capacity although it is more practical to split a large drive into the boot sector at say 25-30% (in your case say 100Gb) and data for the rest. You can create the partitions during the windows installation process.

The current limit is 750 MB. With the latest service pack and updates, there is rumored to be no limit, but there has always been a limit of some kind in the past just to prevent tomfoolery.

I'd put the OS on a 20 gig partition and leave the rest for media storage. You'll have to tell MCE that you don't want stuff on the C drive, otherwise you'll only get a few hours of TV. But you won't run into any problems with that 320GB drive.

I think your max is going to be around 2.x TB - it was the max I was able to do easily with a RAID5 setup. I could be wrong and had just done something incorrectly so it might actually be higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back