Keyboard / Mouse Keyboard not functioning on Dell desktop

I have a Dell Dimension E310 that I just recently started having a issue with - the keyboard no longer works. It is a USB keyboard and there's no PS2 on the computer. Someone on another site suggested resetting the CMOS and I did that but it made a new problem, now it's saying Floppy Disk Seek Failure. Without the keyboard I am unable to access the BIOS or even do a reinstall of Windows XP Home so I'm kinda lost on what to do. I've already tried a different keyboard and no dice. the keyboard I am using lights up with caps lock on and all, just don't have any other key functionality.

Any and all help is appreciated!

LookinAround

Hmmm..

So when you boot your Dell and hit F2 during the Dell screen you can't enter your BIOS?? And you say you've already tried a different USB keyboard???

Don;t know for sure but might be a sign of a more serious issue with your USB ports and hardware if you can't even enter BIOS on power up.

One thing you might try: go to your local computer store and get a PCI card with a PS/2 port. I see them online for cheap ($10) but best to go to a local brick and mortar store i think since if that fails to work to, at least is easy to return it. Then try a PS/2 keyboard.

When you get into BIOS, check if there's a setting for USB Legacy Support and that it's Enabled. That tells BIOS to emulate USB before Windows actually loads and starts. As I think if USB fails even during BIOS USB emulation, it probably means hardware failure is my guess. (Tho maybe others might have other opinion... ?)