Keyboard problems with my laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a laptop recently and one day I fell asleep while watching a movie on it and I think my daughter might have spilled something on it because when I woke up certain keys type more than one character when you touch them. ex. i8 w\ j7

Is this a fixable problem? Can I somehow take the keys off and clean under them? I tried reformatting and reinstalling windows but to no avail.

help me please

and thank you

Yes, you can open the thing up and clean it. You might want to let professionals do it though - laptops are rather difficult to take apart and put together.

AM having problems with Keyboard with my laptop

can someone please help me ..........my key board types different letters if i hit like letter "M" i get letter "O" "K" brings figure "2" instead .... AND

i - 5
j - 1
k - 2
l - 3
m - 0(zero)
o - 6
p - *
u - 4
o - 6

CAN SAMEONE TELL ME IF I CAN fix this on my own

THANK YOU

You have turned Num Lock on and you get the numbers that are printed on these very keys. Turn off Num Lock.

What kinda of laptop is it?

We can probably provide better information if you give us more.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Nodsu said:
You have turned Num Lock on and you get the numbers that are printed on these very keys. Turn off Num Lock.

Have you made sure that numlock is not activated, as Nodsu suggested?

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

my Num Lock oof

i have gatway laptop.... AM having problems with Keyboard

can someone please help me ..........my key board types different letters if i hit like letter "M" i get letter "O" "K" brings figure "2" instead .... AND

i - 5
j - 1
k - 2
l - 3
m - 0(zero)
o - 6
p - *
u - 4
o - 6

CAN SAMEONE TELL ME IF I CAN fix this on my own

i have the Num Lock off

THANK YOU

If it`s not a numlock problem, It`s probably a faulty keyboard.

You did say that there might have been something spilled on it.

Nodsu did suggest you take it in and let the pros have a look at it.

Regards Howard :)

Gateway Laptop Keyboard problem

Nina412:
I had the exact problem with my keyboard today. If you look at the bottom row of keys on the left hand side, there is a fn key, next to the Ctrl key -press and hold the fn key and then hit f9 key. This will fix your problem

Thanks & Props

after hours and hours with gateway techs i was told to buy a new keyboard. in my gut i knew that it was not mechanical and tried all remedies to no avail. i have used an external keyboard for months now but never totally gave up. imagine, just a press of 2 buttons fixed my keyboard. thanks tialoves and now barryloves tia and techspot.:grinthumb

Gateway is the worst. I once had a techie try to copy a 4 meg file to a floppy. When that didn't work, he zipped it to a 3 meg file and tried to copy that to a floppy disk. lol Bunch of *****s.

I currently have 4 problems with my Gateway and they want a min of $250 just to send it in.

Denman007 said:
Gateway is the worst. I once had a techie try to copy a 4 meg file to a floppy. When that didn't work, he zipped it to a 3 meg file and tried to copy that to a floppy disk. lol Bunch of *****s.

I currently have 4 problems with my Gateway and they want a min of $250 just to send it in.

So save your pennies, and buy another system

Hi
It has been a while for me but Iam back.
This Keyboard problem may be solved if you are able to read and fallow instructions, Log on to gateway and look for the model of your laptop and search for the manual, once there look for the replacement parts section, it
shows you step by step on how to remove the entire laptop in pieces, if you have never attempted this try labeling the parts and screws in the order you
have remove them, when you get to the keyboard use cotton swabs to clean
between hard to reach places.
Good Luck

Problem with keys turning numerical!! Plz Help Me!

I have tried holding Fn & F9 together but that hasn't altered the problem. I have the same problem NINA:

i - 5
j - 1
k - 2
l - 3
m - 0(zero)
o - 6
p - *
u - 4
o - 6

Can any one help please?!?!

TiaLoves said:
Nina412:
I had the exact problem with my keyboard today. If you look at the bottom row of keys on the left hand side, there is a fn key, next to the Ctrl key -press and hold the fn key and then hit f9 key. This will fix your problem

Have you guys tried this advice?? I think this may fix your problem.

Sheep following random advice without even bothering to figure out what it means..

You are supposed to press a NumLock key. On laptops, this happens with some Fn-combination. Yes, some laptops may have the number lock under F9, some other laptops can have it somewhere else. In short, look for a Num Lock, Num Lk, NL or suchlike key and press it while holding Fn.

shift keys not working

both shift keys on my toshiba laptop do not work. can someone please help. i cannot type the question mark as you can see, because i do not have access to the shift key

more problems with my laptop keyboard!!!

my keyboard keeps typing "[" this on screen. I'm not typing it or in anyway touching the actual key but it keeps typing it. what's the core of this problem?? it happened in my previous laptop to. does it happen often on laptops???

please help meeeee...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back