Kia starts to pull back the curtain on its 2024 EV9 SUV

Daniel Sims

Staff
Something to look forward to: The market for affordable electric vehicles has thus far been limited to small cars. Kia might change that when it fully unveils its three-row all-electric SUV this month, bringing families a new option for non-gasoline transportation. The company hasn't revealed its price yet but has showcased some of its comforts.

Kia offered an early look at the upcoming 2024 EV9's exterior and interior design this week, with other important details still to come. Among the most interesting features are the seating configurations and the dashboard touchscreen.

The company will offer models seating either six or seven passengers. The second-row seats can turn 180 degrees to directly face the third row. One picture also shows a second-row seat turned to face the door, possibly allowing passengers to enter and exit the vehicle more easily.

Furthermore, the first and second-row seats can all simultaneously recline to let occupants rest while the vehicle charges. Those worried that Kia might neglect third-row passengers should know that the back seats will have access to cup holders and chargers.

The dashboard features a single panoramic display stretching from behind the steering wheel to the center of the dashboard. The panel combines two 12.3-inch touchscreens and a five-inch segment display for a minimal number of analog dashboard control buttons.

Central details like the price, battery capacity, and horsepower are still unknown. However, a document Car and Driver obtained in January revealed some early specs that may or may not change when Kia fully unveils the EV later this month.

According to a survey, which a Telluride owner received and shared with the outlet, prices for different models could range between $56,000 to $73,000. The lower-tier versions could feature rear-wheel drive, 200 horsepower, 250 pound-feet of torque, and a 220-mile range, but no towing capacity, while reaching 60mph within eight and a half seconds. The next tier up might tow up to 2,000 pounds and travel up to 290 miles.

An all-wheel-drive model could pack 400 horsepower, 380 pound-feet of torque, and a 3,500-pound towing capacity, but cut the range to 260 miles. A slightly more expensive version increases the wheel size from 19 to 20 inches but decreases the range further to 240 miles. With the same range, the top-end model can allegedly tow 4,500 pounds, features 21-inch wheels, and has 480 pound-feet of torque.

Permalink to story.

$56k for a rear wheel drive SUV? No thanks. Not in cold weather climate. I've driven rear and front wheel drive vehicles in snow, while front wheel does tend to move you through the snow better, you get better control from a rear wheel vehicle. Rear wheel in the snow is a pain, though, sometimes hard or near impossible to get moving, even if you're weighted down with sandbags in the back.

Now having had an all-wheel-drive car the past 2.5 years, I wouldn't go back to front or rear wheel here in the snowy climate. No thank you.

As for affordable - no. $56k for a base model is not affordable for any kind of car for most people. Doesn't matter if it's ICE or EV.

You can get a basic CX-5 that's AWD starting around $27. That's less than half the cost of this KN (KN...you're asking what KN is? It's the new KIA logo. I don't know what KN is supposed to mean, but that's exactly what it looks like and it looks stupid) electric SUV, plus it gives you AWD. You can even get a decked out model of the CX-5 for under $40k.

If you need a larger vehicle, the CX-9 might be more inline with what this KN size appears to be and I think the cost of these top out near $50k - still less than the EV. I wouldn't call a decked out model of the CX-9 affordable, either.

56k base price is not an affordable car!

Come back to us when that drops below 26k!

Looks good. I'm not buying a EV anytime soon but I'm guessing by the time I'm ready to upgrade the tech will be that much more refined.

What sucks is that I imagine that gas powered vehicles won't be worth anything pretty soon...kills the whole trade-in idea.

What sucks is that I imagine that gas powered vehicles won't be worth anything pretty soon...kills the whole trade-in idea.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. We have a good 20 years of gas powered vehicles behind around, if not more. Yes, electric continues to come, but right now we are just at 1 in 7 cars being sold are electric. Even when that flips to a majority it will still take another 10 years due to the sheer number of existing gas cars.

I dont think anyone understands what affordable means anymore.

if someone made an actually cheap electric hatchback with decent range, basic amenities and a double-din I'd run through traffic to get it though.

That is true overall, but there are still a lot of very affordable cars out there.
Corolla, Elantra, Jetta, Maverick and Trailblazer are just a few under 25k.

I think that it's the price increases of the "statement" rides that have driven up the averages.
They are making Mavericks again? In High School Kitty and I were speeding away from the principal in her new Maverick. Problem was we weren't speeding cause the tires were spinning on ice. Finally she got traction. It was close. We laughed so hard we had to pull over

They are making Mavericks again?
Oh yeah. But they do look a lot different.

2023-Ford-Maverick-front_51551_032_1787x798_YZ_cropped.png

And then there is this:
novo-ford-maverick-suv-2023-01.jpg

You want to pay $26K for a 7 passenger SUV? LOL

Kia is killing it with their EVs, but the trim around the wheel wells on this one look a bit Aztek to me. And I still don't think the Aztek is cool, even if Walter White drove one.

I like that EVs are bringing back the RWD performance of the 60s and 70s. FWD cars are SO boring.

However, 56k isnt affordable.
That is true overall, but there are still a lot of very affordable cars out there.
Corolla, Elantra, Jetta, Maverick and Trailblazer are just a few under 25k.

I think that it's the price increases of the "statement" rides that have driven up the averages.
Just two years ago the jetta was a $19k car. 6k in two years.

This also assumes that A - you dont need something from a higher trim, like if you need the tow package on the maverick its over $25k, and B - that you can find these things in basic poverty trim. That is not usually the case, normally dealers will only have mid or high trims available, then you have dealer markups, taxes, title, fees, ece.

You know, I was thinking about that some more, and I honestly don't think gasoline vehicles are going to go away any time soon because I can see a long path for hybrid vehicles.
By far the highest concentration of air pollution is in the cities, and there, a hybrid will run off its battery, resulting in a massive reduction in emissions. Win-win.

Car design is a complete mess. I hoped to move from an ancient diesel to something green this year and I don't mean the colour. Being old school I want a spare wheel and decent seating positions at the front. Battery technology has a way to go meaning that the space needed under the floor to house the batteries makes the spare wheel impractical. That is also true with a self charging hybrid. Efforts to streamline the front end and massage economy figures mean a raised driving seat position at the front brings the driver's eye level up to the visor. Extra size to accomodate everything brings you face to face with going for a far larger car than necessaty - SUV style. You lose the green bonus by buying a larger car. As for some of the "improvements" like heated steering wheels, heated seats or auto wipers I would urge a concentration on safety features and park assist tech.

Back