Lamborghini's 'Super' SUV, the Urus, arrives next spring

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Move over, Porsche and Bentley – there’s a new option to choose from when considering a luxury SUV. Lamborghini has officially unveiled the Urus, an SUV that first broke cover in concept form back in 2012.

The Lamborghini Urus is a five-seater "Super" SUV that looks a lot like the original concept. Given its Italian pedigree, it should come as little surprise that the Urus is packing plenty of power.

Under the hood, you’ll find a 4.0-liter twin-turbo V8 (mated to an eight-speed automatic transmission) that generates 641 horsepower and 627 lb-ft of torque. It is capable of propelling occupants from 0-62 mph in just 3.6 seconds. The engine, based on the powerplant from the Bentley Continental GT and Audi RS6, revs to 6,800 RPM.

The four-wheel-drive Urus’ top speed is rated at 190 mph.

For compassion, the Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (the one packing the 707-horsepower monster engine from the Hellcat) can do 0-60 mph in 3.5 seconds but is limited to a top speed of 180 mph (either way, that’s fast for an SUV).

A plug-in hybrid engine will be added as an option at a later date, we’re told.

The Porsche Cayenne, undoubtedly one of the Urus’ top competitors, first entered production in 2002. Lamborghini, meanwhile, had an SUV of its own that was produced from 1986 through 1993 although fewer than 350 units were ever assembled.

According to Autocar, the Urus will cost “around £165,000 on the road” which is around $222,000. The first deliveries are expected next spring.

Permalink to story.

Dang, I do like those hard lines and that front end. But no way am I paying that much for looks lol

But no way am I paying that much for looks lol
I don't think it matters because someone will. I'm so glad the auto industry is not doing like the game industry.

Can you imagine paying $100 for a key to open a box that may or may not have $5 worth of fuel? By the time you get $10 of fuel, you have made the equivalent to 10 payments for the car. And you are now storing a garage full of crap, you never want to put on or in your car. And the bad part, you are forbidden to give any of it away.

Its not even a lambo engine.

it is really pretty. imagine if that was what the next Tesla model X looked like!

Seriously America. What the hell?

Why do you all need such giant cars and McMansions? Why is excess embraced so?

Seriously America. What the hell?

Why do you all need such giant cars and McMansions? Why is excess embraced so?
I am an American, but these are my thoughts exactly! Who on earth needs something this fast or powerful when probably 99.99-percent of the people who buy this will never use it. It is all marketing bling designed to play on addictive tendencies of those people who think money is everything, and that if they buy one of these, it will make them instant race-car drivers.

Back