Laptop and PC on one set of peripherals?

InsaneVr6

TLDR; I want to use a laptop and a desktop on the same set of peripherals, AND easily switch between them.

Hey all, I've scratched my head with this one for awhile, looking for some advice for what I'm trying to accomplish.

Basically, I have a dual monitor + keyboard/mouse setup at my desk. All of these items are plugged into a laptop dock that I use for work. Due to limited space, I ALSO want to be able to use my recently-built PC using the same two monitors + keyboard / mouse WITHOUT having to manually unplug / plug in wires. I was thinking a KVM or a different dock but most of what I could come up with would only yield me one of my monitors or I would have to physically move wires.

I don't want to use any virtual KVM software, would prefer something I can wire in. I also have a PS4 hooked up to another HDMI inout on one of the monitors - which I manually switch to using the buttons on the monitor itself - that's fine. I attached a diagram of what I'm working with currently.

Attachments

• Desk_Setup.png
    Desk_Setup.png
    26.5 KB · Views: 9
I have

1. a mac
  2. a laptop
  3. another desktop
  4. a wifi connected printer
  5. (2x) mobile phones
  6. (2x) iPads

all off one internet -- it's call File & Print Sharing -- you're making life too difficult IMO.

I have

1. a mac
  2. a laptop
  3. another desktop
  4. a wifi connected printer
  5. (2x) mobile phones
  6. (2x) iPads

all off one internet -- it's call File & Print Sharing -- you're making life too difficult IMO.

?

I'm not asking about connecting them to the internet....I'm asking how can I make my laptop + PC use the same two monitors + keyboard/mouse and switch easily between them.

The best I could locate was a 4-CPU, 2-monitor DVI KVM plus a bunch of DVI to HDMI converters - NewEgg has it all - for about $600.

Since it did not seem to be optimal (actually down right ugly), I hesitated to put it forward. I also wondered if I could chain a pair of KVMs - giving access to 3 CPUs.

Why not use a KVM??? Obvious choice!

Again, I mentioned KVM in the original post, but most options support "dual" monitors are one monitor per CPU. Meaning I'd have my laptop displaying on one screen and my PC displaying on the other, and the KVM would switch my keyboard/mouse between them. Not what I'm trying to accomplish.

I think I've come to terms with what I'm trying to do is not possible within a realistic budget, or without me having to switch cords every time.

I think it is almost 'doable' with a DisplayPort signal being split into a wide 'extended' screen delivered by two HDMI. Watch video:

Then on the DisplayPort side attach a KVM feeding the DisplayPort as if it were a single monitor but giving it the extended resolution of an ultra-wide (3840x1080).

The PS4 then needs an HDMI converter to give you a DVI connection into Monitor2.

Frankly, this is worse than 3D chess.

For anyone that may find this later, I didn't find the solution I was after, but here's what I ended up doing:

Each monitor has 1x DisplayPort and 2x HDMI

Laptop dock is connected to both monitors via DisplayPort, my Desktop is connected to both monitors via HDMI, and my PS4 is connected to HDMI on one monitor. This leaves me with one extra HDMI open which I use when I want a second screen on my Macbook Pro.

As far as peripherals - I have my Logitech G15 keyboard + G402 mouse for laptop, and then I got a Corsair K63 keyboard + Dark Core mouse for the desktop. Though I wanted to one keyboard/mouse for both computers, having the Corsair wireless stuff made it okay. I can push the wired G15 out of the way and use the K63 when I want to use the desktop (switching inputs on the monitors) and the Corsair stuff is small enough to tuck out of the way when not in use.

TLDR; I want to use a laptop and a desktop on the same set of peripherals, AND easily switch between them.

Hey all, I've scratched my head with this one for awhile, looking for some advice for what I'm trying to accomplish.

Basically, I have a dual monitor + keyboard/mouse setup at my desk. All of these items are plugged into a laptop dock that I use for work. Due to limited space, I ALSO want to be able to use my recently-built PC using the same two monitors + keyboard / mouse WITHOUT having to manually unplug / plug in wires. I was thinking a KVM or a different dock but most of what I could come up with would only yield me one of my monitors or I would have to physically move wires.

I don't want to use any virtual KVM software, would prefer something I can wire in. I also have a PS4 hooked up to another HDMI inout on one of the monitors - which I manually switch to using the buttons on the monitor itself - that's fine. I attached a diagram of what I'm working with currently.
There are a couple methods to control two different computers from one keyboard and mouse: either with a cable or with software. First, there is a cable called a KVM switch, which is short for “keyboard, video and mouse” switch. These let you share one mouse, keyboard and monitor between two computers.

Back