Laptop boots up and then after loading screen turns off, desperate for help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I have a packard bell easynote laptop with vista and a couple of weeks ago it blue screened saying something about a page fault in non paged area, i turned it off and on again and it comes on and goes to the windows loading screen and loads for a while then turns off. It does the same if i try starting with windows repair or start to last good configuration. I can access my bios. It also wont load in safe mode either!

I have lots of important data on there which i dont want to lose and i dont have a recovery disc either.

Any help would be great

Thanks

How old is the hard drive. If over two years old, you might want to buy a new drive just to preserve the data on an old one, which you can then rescue in a hard drive enclosure on a USB cable.

It's about 18 months old. Is the only way to get my laptop working to restore it to factory settings or can it be done without formatting the HD?

No way to answer the question.
If it were mine, and I had valuable data, and work to do,
I would install a new hard drive, than migrate the important data.
With a bit more time, I would begin a serious look at running antispyware and antivirus scans until clean.
Obviously, you have to do something.
If you don't have a lot of memory, that would be a good first step to consider.
I gather you are in Europe, as we don't sell the Packard Bell in the USA... and are not fond of them.
It would be helpful to know your configuration: hard drive size and free space, and memory installed
Have you cleaned the cooling channels of dust and fibre with a can of good quality spray cleaner using Difluoroethane gas or other treated cleaner gas?
Laptop fixes are always a money issue. If you have the resources buy, and install a hard drive and be sure your memory is at least 512 mb... but more memory is better. If this works, your hard drive needs careful attention to avoid damaging the data you have.

this problem is a bit to vague to give you a very detailed response. Since your getting the windows loading screen it seems like your drive is still being detected which sounds like it isn't a total drive failure, at least not yet.

There are lots of things to try, and it would be difficult to list them, so fire and foremost, to get your most important data safe, do you have another computer? and if so what type of hard drive is in your current laptop? you can try to setup the drive in an external enclosure. Or using a boot cd or usb flash drive you could boot to a ram based operating system on your laptop and see if you can copy your needed files to another medium, sd card, external drive, or usb stick.

If the drive isn't detectable through one of these means, but in the disk manager the drive is visable, you may be able to recover some files using data recovery software.

Again this is just one route, there are other options such as attempting to repair your windows system with a repair installation from a install cd.
Hope this puts you on the right track.

ps- you can hit f8 before windows bootup starts and get a menu which should give you the option to disable restart on error, which should then let you see what error is making your pc turn off, if it is a system error.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back