Laptop does not start

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techmeniac

My laptop (IBM Thinkpad) was working well till about two days ago, and then yeaterday when I tried to switch it on, it would not work. I even tried using a battery instead of a power outlet (in case there was something wrong with the plug.)
When I used to connect to power, an indicator that the battery was charging would flash, now nothing happens and the power switch on the Laptop does not respond. the screen remains turned off.

can anyone tell me why this could be happening and how i can fix the prob (I do not mind opening the laptop.

It looks like the problem is going to be the Motherboard on the system. The best thing that I can tell you if you have a warrenty on the system. You need to call IBM and get the board replaced.

I have seen a similar problem with a Toshiba laptop. It turned out to be a faulty battery. Try removing the battery and power it up using the main adapter.

Also if you hold the power switch in for about 10/20 seconds it might perform a soft reset.

I would not recommend opening any laptops as they are very compact and it is difficult to do work inside them.

If its under warrenty send it back, cuts out all the trouble.

I tried practically everything, I will try the soft reset though.
No my laptop is not under warranty. But I just upgraded it from a private technician, But i dont want to spend all that money again.

Please, Please suggest something else.
It will be appriciated!!!!!!!!!!1

Try removing all the hardware you don't need, floppy, hdd, cdrom, memory, etc...

I thinking that he meet to remove all those parts and then see if the system will turn on. If the system will then turn on the issue will be with one of the devices. Then if the system will turn on, put the parts in one at a time to see what device is causing the issue.

I just had the same problem with my Gateway notebook, and the problem for me wasn't a hardware issue. The AC adapter jack was loose, and just needed to be resoldered. The battery had died, but couldn't be recharged because it wasn't connecting properly. This is a super-cheap, very easy remedy! You may be able to get a connection by wiggling or pulling on the adapter cord when it's plugged in...if you can get the recharge light to come on at all, you know for sure that's the problem.

Thanks, I tried that too but do you think this may also happen on the inside ( I eman I have two adapters and they both didnt work o I think that maybe the jack for the connector may have come loose.
I will try to look at that.
Can anyone give me any tips to safely opening my laptop

I had the same problem with my dell laptop, 1night it was ok and the next morning it would not turn on the motherboard got fried, because I've dropped it on the floor, but even after I've dropped on the floor it was all ok I've used it for two more hours after that but in the morning when I try2switch it on, nothing come up.

Techmeniac said:
Thanks, I tried that too but do you think this may also happen on the inside ( I eman I have two adapters and they both didnt work o I think that maybe the jack for the connector may have come loose.

If you go to the IBM website you can access the service manuals for all models that give step by step instructions!

Have you also tried using another battery to see if the battery is the problem. I would try what some of the other people have suggested. First I would

Unplug the power
Take out the battery
Wait 2 minutes
Put the battery back in
Try to turn on the machine
If that doesn't work, take out the battery
wait 1 minute
Plug in the latop and try to see if you can turn it on after that.

If that doesn't work, then yes it's something else. I would try checking the AC adapter jack to make sure that isn't a problem. And I would try replacing the motherboard as a last option--Unless you think there may be a reason why the motherboard would have broken. Or could this also not be related to the BIOS? or could there be a problem with the BIOS?

But if you resently got it serviced I would also go back to the place where you took it and have them check it again. They should have some kind of warranty for their work. It could be that it was something they did. Or at least maybe they can check to see if the LT will work with another battery, or try some other checks to see what the problem is.

Pax is right on key with the battery suggestion. If, in the past, you indicated that the battery light would flash (as if it were charging) and never turned solid green (just stayed flashing orange) then the battery is most definitely dead. Now, if your charger/adapter has maybe died (or the charge port has a bad solder connection) then it won't fire up. If you take it back to the original servicer, see if they have another battery and/or adapter you can try. I'd lay odds that your problem lies there. I've been troubleshooting Thinkpads for the last few years and have never seen a bad solder connection on their power plugs. Sonys yes, Thinkpads no.

Just my $.02

Time A520-K7 does not start

My laptop, a refurbished one with no warranty, stopped working. I know the battery does not hold a charge but the battery charger light and the AC light does light up when connected to AC. It worked fine till running on AC till 2 days ago when it started switching off mid-session. After waiting 2 minutes it was possible to start it again, but now it does not want to start at all. If i press the power button the power lights come on for a second and then immediately the laptop switches of again. What could possibly be causing this and please, please, how can i fix this?

Techmeniac said:

I hate to point out the obvious but sometimes your ac adaptor is plugged into a wall outlet thats no good, try the adaptor on a different outlet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back