Laptop not catching 2.4 GHz connection from Jio-Router. Why?

Navin Talati

Dear friends,

I need you help and guidance in the under mentioned issue of my WiFi connection. I have a TOSHIBA Laptop Satellite M115-S3094 System unit. Model No.PSMB0U-015007 DC 15 V 5.0 A and My WiFi Router is Jio JCO500 Model. Which is a combined model for 2.4 GHz & 5 GHz frequencies?

For about last 15 days, my laptop is not catching 2.4 GHz connection from Jio-Router. It only catches 5 GHz and also displays the later one. Up till now (I.e. before 15 days) it was catching both and was also showing both in the “Currently Connected for” status in the Network Access of Wireless Network Connections. Now it shows only 5 GHz network, and not the 2.4 GHz!

I have a spare NETGEAR wi-fi dongle WG111v3. I installed and it connects to 2.4 GHz from Jio-Router. It also works.

Still surprising is that my neighbor’s 2.4 GHz from his Jio-Router is clearly shown by my laptop! – but not mine.

My questions are:

• Why it happens so?
  • What is the way to resolve it?

Please guide me and help.

Regards to all in anticipation.
Navin Talati / 25-06-2020

Have you tried updating your Laptops Wireless Drivers? I have seen this in one or two cases and it usually was down to degraded wifi card not picking up all the signals or an out of date/bugged Wireless Network Card.

MattS,
Thanks for the reply.

I also expect that the issue may be due to the matter something went wrong with the driver. However,

(1)… if the concerned card is deteriorated over a time, or the driver is not properly installed (let us assume!) then it should not catch the connection of my neighbor. He has also the same router.

(2)….In my system/Laptop (it is dual boot) Win-XP is also installed and in that OS, both the connections (5 GHz & 2.4 GHz) from my Jio-Router are assessed and works!

(3)…..I have also installed “Intel® Driver & Support Assistant” and it shows all ok !

(4)…..In “Networking and I/O” it shows Wi-Fi hardware as “Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection” with a driver version Version: 12.4.1.4 dated: 26 March-2009. This is just for the information.

Above matters leaves me with confusion about exactly pin-pointing the culprit!

Please guide further.

Also send if some driver link is available.

Regards.
Navin Talati / 29-06-2020

Let me add:
I uninstalled the driver and re-installed for the H/W: Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection. Restarted the system.
Yet it shows only 5 GHz connectivity and not 2.4 GHz.

The range of 5 GHz is much shorter then that of 2.4 GHz. My router and systems are in different rooms and usually the later (I.e. 2.4 GHz ) signals are much powerful compared to the 5 GHz.
This is the reason that I try to make working of 2.4 GHz.
Please help.
Regards.

Back