Laptop shutting itself off

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have had an asus w3000 for a few years and it is great. does run hotter than any other laptop i have used. i'm not sure if that's the issue, but my laptop keeps turning itself off. i'm not very technically talented but my staff at the library is and they have been cleaning it up all day. it is running better. i made a slide show on movie maker and have been trying to download it off and on for days. it starts to download, then shuts off. i have been researching the heating aspect and carefully cleaned the dust off the fan and put it back together, turned it on and tried to download again. it turned itself off again. any ideas? thanks.

You might want to check your RAM with Memtest86, download the ISO version burn it to a CD and then put this in your Laptop after this go into your BIOS (normally F2 or F5) and check that the CD drive is the first bootable option and then save these options, the comp will start again with the CD, you set the test going and let it run for 3-5 hours (minimum of 7 passes) or overnight. - http://www.memtest.org/

If Memtest86 doesn't find any errors then download your HDD manufacturers test and test your HDD.
After this post back if you find the problem or have any questions.

Thank you Woody. I'm checking on the memory aspect. What I did last night was hook up a double fan cooling stand and it is doing much better and didn't shut off when I downloaded the slide show. Thanks again for taking the time to help me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back