Las Vegas self-driving shuttle involved in crash within first hour of operation

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Las Vegas this week became the first city in the US to integrate a self-driving shuttle bus into its regular flow of traffic. Unfortunately, things got off to a bit of a rocky start.

The shuttle, developed by French start-up Navya and operated by private transportation company Keolis, was involved in a minor traffic accident within its first hour of service. According to local news station KSNV News 3 Las Vegas, a semi-truck operated by a human driver accidentally backed into the shuttle.

No injuries were reported.

A representative for the city of Las Vegas said the shuttle was grazed by a delivery truck. The shuttle’s sensors registered the truck and performed the correct actions, the rep said, by stopping to avoid the accident. Unfortunately, the semi didn’t stop and tapped the shuttle’s front fender.

The driver of the semi-truck was cited by the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department.

As is seemingly the case with most accidents involving driverless cars, human error was to blame. That said, some are questioning the autonomous vehicle’s roadworthiness since it was apparently unable to back up or try and turn to avoid the collision.

The shuttle operates on a 0.6-mile loop around downtown Las Vegas and offers free rides to both locals and visitors. It has seating for eight (complete with seatbelts) and can reportedly brake manually in case of an emergency.

Images courtesy Erik Verduzco, Las Vegas Review-Journal

Permalink to story.

"a semi-truck operated by a human driver accidentally backed into the shuttle." "some are questioning the autonomous vehicle’s roadworthiness since it was apparently unable to back up or try and turn to avoid the collision"

So when someone crashes in to you it's your fault if you don't put everyone in danger by starting to back up in panic or drive in to oncoming traffic.

"a semi-truck operated by a human driver accidentally backed into the shuttle." "some are questioning the autonomous vehicle’s roadworthiness since it was apparently unable to back up or try and turn to avoid the collision"

So when someone crashes in to you it's your fault if you don't put everyone in danger by starting to back up in panic or drive in to oncoming traffic.

Kind of sucks that you have to click into the story to find out that the vehicle wasn't really at fault. This is a good place for AI though, and a horn. I think that if I was in that situation I would have laid on the horn, and looked to see if I could reverse safely. Chances are the driver of the truck didn't see the vehicle because of its size. A small car would have suffered the same fate no doubt.

Yes it was the truck driver's fault but, regarding roadworthiness, it's not so much the issue of whose fault it is but rather trying to avoid the accident in the first place. It appears the autonomous vehicle has trouble driving defensively. As a driver often you are unable to avoid someone hitting you but if you see it coming and if you have time and if it's safe to do so (big ifs I realize), do you try to take evasive action in a effort to avoid it or do you just sit there passively and let them hit you? Yes technically it's not your fault but if you can avoid it, why wouldn't you? At least some humans would but evidently the autonomous car's ability is limited.

Seriously Techspot?

Las Vegas self-driving shuttle involved in crash within first hour of operation
Is very different than
Las Vegas self-driving shuttle got hit by unaware semi
... I know, it's not as yellow as the first one but I believe is the correct title instead of a click-bait title, I would still like to read it almost as much as an automated crash :p

Back