Last typewriter factory in the world shuts down

Emil

Godrej and Boyce, the last company in the world still manufacturing typewriters, has closed its doors. As a result, if you still want to buy such a device, you'll soon only be able to find used ones, and they'll likely only be available in antiques shops or the like.

Read the whole story

KG363

I like how you described what a typewrite is. lol

I think most of us can identify them

Lokalaskurar

kg363 said:

You know, most of my classmates at the IT-school don't even know that there are mice with balls inside! (mechanical ones)

Never say never...

Cueto_99

It just happen last week... My mother lost her wallet in a cab, so we inmediately went to a police station to notify the situation... I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw an old lady typing down the incident in an old typewriter... I just had to take that picture... I'll upload it later when I get home :)

dividebyzero

Well, that makes it official...mechanical typewriters will now become the "must have" implememt of choice for any "serious" writer.
I give it six months before the relative peace and quiet of public parks and cafe's is shattered by the incessant clack-clack-clack of budding Hemmingway's, Faulkner's and Steinbeck's.

EDIT: WTH! The correction fluid didn't work on "implement"

dotVezz

As a mechanical gadgetry nerd, this is really sad to me. My roommate has a small, classy mechanical typewriter and I've been drooling over it for a while now... this just means that it'll be harder to get my hands on one for myself.

I think I remember when I was a kid, Goodwill always had good old things like this... maybe it's time to go and see if they still do.

Trillionsin

Lokalaskurar said:
kg363 said:

You know, most of my classmates at the IT-school don't even know that there are mice with balls inside! (mechanical ones)

Never say never...
WHAT? MY MOUSE HAS BALLS!? SWEET!

G

Hate to cite Gawker, but...

http://gawker.com/#!5795649/relax-theyre-still-making-typewriters

captaincranky

Good riddance to typewriters, I say! I used to go through an entire correction ribbon, in the space of a 5 page paper....:eek::

Lurker101

Lokalaskurar said:

Never say never...
Just means they don't know what a pain it is to "defluff" a mouse or how sodding annoying it is to find out, mid-game, that you missed a bit of fluff on the edge of horizontal roller

LinkedKube

msnbc reported that there is still one manufacturer left, after making this same report. So don't fret!

Route44

Good riddance to typewriters, I say! I used to go through an entire correction ribbon, in the space of a 5 page paper....:eek::
No greater truth has ever been spoken at TechSpot. And then there were those professors who didn't like the fact that you used a correction ribbon. Pristine, I tell you! Pristine!

G

Doesn't brother still make them? A few office supply stores sell Brother typewriters.

Per Hansson

Staff member
maybe now we can finally switch away from qwerty keyboards? ughh, it's probably too late :(
Oh it's waaaay too late.
I tried myself with the DVORAK layout but I spent so much time hunting for keys I gave it up a few days later.
Still have my rearranged DVORAK keyboard in the closet though :D

G

I don't know why but I love the clicks n clack sounds my typewriter makes... :)

Lokalaskurar

Guest said:
I don't know why but I love the clicks n clack sounds my typewriter makes... :)
I do know why my typewriter drives me nuts - the 'krikihaki' sounds more like a hammer struck towards a wooden floor, at about 50 words per minute :) - really deafening. Facit sure knew how to make prestigious handywork.