Leak shows Microsoft's "All Digital" Xbox One S, and it looks exactly like you'd think

onetheycallEric

Staff
Rumor mill: Microsoft's long rumored disc-less Xbox One S has shown up in a leak from WinFuture.de and offers a glimpse at what the console could look like. Granted, there aren't many ways an Xbox One S minus an optical drive can look. More surprising is the price. At $260, it may not be the bargain we'd hoped for. Time will tell, though.

Rumors have been swirling for some time regarding Microsoft's disc-less Xbox One S, and at this point, there's really no doubt that it's happening. In fact, German Windows site WinFuture.de claims to have obtained images showing off exactly what the "All Digital" console looks like.

Surprise! It looks like an Xbox One S sans an optical drive, which is probably exactly how everyone envisioned it would. Other images show the box illustrating "disc-free gaming" and a symbol indicating the lack of a Blu-ray drive.

Hardware wise, the new console purportedly comes with a 1TB HDD preinstalled with Minecraft, Sea of Thieves, and Forza Horizon 3. Oddly enough, there's no mention of Xbox Game Pass, which Microsoft is rumored to be overhauling into Xbox Game Pass Ultimate.

While the look of the console is likely no surprise, the alleged price is -- $260, which is quite a ways north of the rumored $199 price tag. Still, this is a leak, and that number could change or not be accurate to begin with. The new all-digital Xbox One S could be announced as soon as April 16, with a release date of May 7.

A disc-less Xbox is something of an experiment for Microsoft, meant to test the waters for a more digital media focused platform ahead of its next generation console and Project xCloud.

Permalink to story.

No way is a 6 year old machine with a 1TB drive where you are entirely at the mercy of one store front worth north of $200. Yes there are those older games installed, they are worth cents to Microsoft at best.

Not to mention for a console that is digital only 1TB isn't nearly enough space. 2TB should be the minimum here. 1TB after formatting for this console is only 750GB or so. With games, patches and DLC frequently combining to well over 30GB in many titles you'll be lucky to get much more than 15 games, a few apps, movies and some music on it before you start deleting and having to wait forever to reinstall big titles.

No way is a 6 year old machine with a 1TB drive where you are entirely at the mercy of one store front worth north of $200. Yes there are those older games installed, they are worth cents to Microsoft at best.

Not to mention for a console that is digital only 1TB isn't nearly enough space. 2TB should be the minimum here. 1TB after formatting for this console is only 750GB or so. With games, patches and DLC frequently combining to well over 30GB in many titles you'll be lucky to get much more than 15 games, a few apps, movies and some music on it before you start deleting and having to wait forever to reinstall big titles.
I think you lack a fundamental understanding as to why hard drives "format" to a smaller size

I own multiple Xbox Ones (2 Elites, 1 S 2TB, 1 X). I'm heavily invested in the ecosystem with 750+ games divided slightly in favor of 360 backward compatible titles, most physical but a growing portion digital. I don't need one of these digital only units by any means, but the right form factor and price would have roped me in at the very least to buying one for the guest room and/or as a travel unit. I'm quite literally an almost guaranteed target for MS to sell another console to if they get it right.

If this article is on the money, they got it wrong. This thing is not nearly compact or cheap enough to justify its existence. $149 is reasonable. $99-$129 is impulse buy which is realistically where they need to be if they want to convert physical holdouts. Higher than $199 its DOA. If the price is really $260 they've lost their minds.

Last edited:

Agree 100%. I own one of the only 2TB Xbone S models they've produced thus far - the white "limited edition". Why on earth they would bother releasing a digital only model with less than a 2TB drive is mind boggling. The price on this is too high. The form factor too big. The HDD too small. As much as I truly love thr Xbone ecosystem, this wasn't thought out very well.

I think you lack a fundamental understanding as to why hard drives "format" to a smaller size

I really don't. I may have played fast and loose with the word 'format' to refer to the total size available when the disk is formatted and the system has reserved its cut, but that's all. Context is a fine thing. Pedantry less so.

I really don't. I may have played fast and loose with the word 'format' to refer to the total size available when the disk is formatted and the system has reserved its cut, but that's all. Context is a fine thing. Pedantry less so.

all drives are shipped "formatted" and the word you're looking for is "reformatted" considering said xbox has preinstalled crap on it therefore not allowing you to know the true "formatted" size of the drive thus requiring a "reformat" to see your true available space after all of the preinstalled garbage is done. buy my mixtape

I personally prefer digital titles, having to bung in the disc of a game when it's already installed on the hard drive is annoying.
That said the price is steep I got and Xbox one S with three games (I sold 2) and 2 controllers for £199 on prime day.

Microsoft is being mismanaged.

If I was in charge, we'd have brought SONY to their knees by now.

This is really a stupid idea. You can't play used games and you are still limited to an obsolete HDD as the internal drive.

I am an Xbox loyalist but...

...I chalk the next win to SONY.

Last edited:
This is by far the worst idea I've seen Microsoft come out with and I thought having to install all the games was bad

Guess microsoft forgot about the xbox one pre-release drm fiasco, and consumer complaints about used games. I rarely purchase new games (or phones) as they immediately depreciate in value. most of my very extensive library consists of pre-owned games that I probably wouldn't have purchased unless they were second hand marked down. I came late to xbox one s (boxing day 2017) despite being a huge 360 user, the ease of upgrading the ps4's HDD was why I went to the ps4 and the insane mark up of 360/xbox one drives (plus I still own my 360/ps3 and vast library of games so backwards compatibility means nothing)

I own multiple Xbox Ones (2 Elites, 1 S 2TB, 1 X). I'm heavily invested in the ecosystem with 750+ games divided slightly in favor of 360 backward compatible titles, most physical but a growing portion digital. I don't need one of these digital only units by any means, but the right form factor and price would have roped me in at the very least to buying one for the guest room and/or as a travel unit. I'm quite literally an almost guaranteed target for MS to sell another console to if they get it right.

If this article is on the money, they got it wrong. This thing is not nearly compact or cheap enough to justify its existence. $149 is reasonable. $99-$129 is impulse buy which is realistically where they need to be if they want to convert physical holdouts. Higher than $199 its DOA. If the price is really $260 they've lost their minds.

Why do you own "multiple Xbox Ones"? For Multiplayer party?

Why does a digital only console need more space when even discs still download the game to the hard drive? I can’t figure out why people still always make this comment...

Man, people are also forgetting that you can plug in your own harddrive into an xbox and boom! no more worry about how much space you need. And you don't have to pay a premium for said space.

Microsoft know how much they can charge for this. It will likely include an amount of gold and gamepass as well.

Also, a 1TB drive is fine. You can fit loads of games on one and you can attach a usb3 drive as well.

If I was in charge, we'd have brought SONY to their knees by now.

First, you compare a $500 console to a $3,500 PC in the console hardware thread, and now you're claiming complete strategic business mastery that would have crushed a video gaming juggernaut that put the hurt on Nintendo and put Sega out of business?

OK.

If Microsoft go ahead with the next generation consisting of one unit that is 1X power without an optical drive, and a more powerful unit than the current 1X including an optical drive, I will be going for the more powerful one. I am 100% on board with the continued support of old games on the new hardware and enjoy spending my limited game time playing on my 1X rather than configuring and tweaking settings, which is what I do when I game on PC. This was beneficial when I first got into gaming on PC, because now I work in IT as a direct result of installing 3dfx graphics cards and drivers multiple times on windows 95. DOS 6.22 on a floppy baby.

If Microsoft go ahead with the next generation consisting of one unit that is 1X power without an optical drive, and a more powerful unit than the current 1X including an optical drive, I will be going for the more powerful one. I am 100% on board with the continued support of old games on the new hardware and enjoy spending my limited game time playing on my 1X rather than configuring and tweaking settings, which is what I do when I game on PC. This was beneficial when I first got into gaming on PC, because now I work in IT as a direct result of installing 3dfx graphics cards and drivers multiple times on windows 95. DOS 6.22 on a floppy baby.

Huge reason I can lt get my friends on board with pc gaming. Headaches occur just trying to get chat working and turn them off bigtime

Back