Leaked: Windows 8 build 7850

Emil

Staff

An early Windows 8 build has finally leaked and will soon be accessible to the general public. While we've seen leaked screenshots that clearly indicate some users have been using for a while -- after all partners have access to Windows 8 builds on Microsoft Connect -- it appears that this is the first leak that anyone will be able to download.

The leak has been posted on the BetaArchive forums and has been confirmed by several reputable sources that it is indeed a legitimate build, according to Neowin. It's a matter of time until this gets posted to a public torrent tracking website and then spread very quickly, meaning it will be available from your favorite website for leaks.

The build that has leaked has the following file name: "6.1.7850.0.winmain_win8m1.100922-1508_x86fre_client-enterprise_en-us.iso." In other words, this is quite an old build, given that it is from Milestone 1, screenshots for which leaked three months ago. In fact, the build string shows that 7850 was compiled on September 22, 2010.

As such, if you grab this build, you won't see many of the leaked and rumored features we've seen so far. That means no native SmartScreen file checking, no built-in PDF reader, no Office ribbon in Windows Explorer, no new logon screen, no system reset feature, and no other features we've discussed but don't have screenshots for yet. In other words, it will look very close to Windows 7.

Permalink to story.

As such, if you grab this build, you won't see many of the leaked and rumored features we've seen so far. That means no native SmartScreen file checking, no built-in PDF reader, no Office ribbon in Windows Explorer, no new logon screen, no system reset feature, and no other features we've discussed but don't have screenshots for (yet). In other words, it will look very close to Windows 7.

Elementary, my dear Emil.

That is because without those features, Windows 8 is in fact Windows 7. ;)

Not to mention that windows 7 just simply works Emil. There's not much to change, or add besides features to support new hardware that everyone would have.

supersmashbrada said:
Not to mention that windows 7 just simply works Emil. There's not much to change, or add besides features to support new hardware that everyone would have.

Indeed. Hopefully they will do what Apple does: do what works; rinse and repeat. Windows 8 shouldn't be too incremental, it should just be easier and more functional than 7. I think that after the Vista fiasco, the Windows team has realized that the greatness is in the simple details, not the unnecessary overhauls.

lawfer said:
supersmashbrada said:

Indeed. Hopefully they will do what Apple does: do what works; rinse and repeat. Windows 8 shouldn't be too incremental, it should just be easier and more functional than 7. I think that after the Vista fiasco, the Windows team has realized that the greatness is in the simple details, not the unnecessary overhauls.

I happen to respectfully disagree. IMO the one thing that will cause Windows 7(8) phones and tablets to really succeed will be a good integration with the desktop OS, rather than relying on something like iTunes to transfer data back and forth.

If you don't have such integration, then they'll be stuck with just the desktop (which is not bad), but certainly won't enjoy the success that is predicted in terms of phone and possibly tablet market share.

If I have to treat my phone/tablet/desktop as a separate entity, and rely on third party services to transfer data, then there is no real incentive for me to get a Windows phone or tablet. But if the stuff syncs itself well, and I can put down my tablet, and resume doing whatever I was doing on my desktop without too much effort, then I'm totally willing to completely embrace the ecosystem.

I don't think this OS is described as MS's biggest gamble because they're going to do something tiny, and if its just like 7, they certainly won't get many sales. Not too many people outside techheads are going to upgrade to something they already have.

Strange? It doesn't feel that long ago I was reading an artical about the Windows 7 Beta?

Is it just me or does it say Windows 7 in the lower right of the screen shot next to the build!!!

Does it have some performance tweaks or is a W7 OS missing hello kitty band aids? cus it clearly says using it will be a criminal act so i may not download it from the captains ship...
:p

this saddens me

I don't think there is any excuse to buy a new operating system that should be offered as an update or a service pack. I understand there are new features but seriously, if they are going to upgrade every year and charge us the rediculus rates for it I'm just going to keep windows 7 (until its absurdly outdated like so many people are doing with windows xp) The only reason I switched from vista to windows 7 was because I knew there were so many glitches, crashes, and incompatibilities with older hardware that I needed to switch for work. If this is going to be windows 7.01 i'm going to be pissed and dissapointed. Thats not even including the fact that they are changing their OS to be more phone oriented (*glares* at the gaudy logon screen)

Sorry for the rant but I've upgraded enough machines in my life to realize when someone is just trying to ***** themselves for more money. No one else gets away with doing it so blatently so why should Microsoft?

supersmashbrada said:

and people with that frame of mind are also still using XP for that same reason. the downside is, you are holding technology back a little bit by doing so... ew.

and people with that frame of mind are also still using XP for that same reason. the downside is, you are holding technology back a little bit by doing so... ew.
Yeah, so what? M$ barely knows my name, so how am I holding them back?

I leave supporting moving technology forward to the "visionaries", who feel obligated to support R & D by purchasing such things as thousand dollar Blu-Ray players.

But >>wink, wink<<, we all know it's so they'll be the first kid on the block to own one. The whole altruism smoke screen is just b*** s*** !

Wait, I have to rush out and buy a copy of Windows 7 for my 6 year old eMachine, I'll get back to you. I don't want to hold technology back.

I really think that everybody who wants to partake in one of these type threads, should be required to read a chapter or two on "propaganda". That way you might be able, at least in small part, to know much you've actually thought, and how much of your "original thought" has been put there by outside sources.

Here's the truth, nobody's going to hold these big corporations back in attempting to make money by advancing technology. If you don't jump on the bandwagon right away, it'll just mean they have one less patsy to absorb R & D costs.

If something works, and does what you want it to, why does it need to be replaced; because Bill Gates has slipped a place on the "World's Richest Men" list?

gwailo247 said:
lawfer said:
supersmashbrada said:

I happen to respectfully disagree. IMO the one thing that will cause Windows 7(8) phones and tablets to really succeed will be a good integration with the desktop OS, rather than relying on something like iTunes to transfer data back and forth.

If you don't have such integration, then they'll be stuck with just the desktop (which is not bad), but certainly won't enjoy the success that is predicted in terms of phone and possibly tablet market share.

If I have to treat my phone/tablet/desktop as a separate entity, and rely on third party services to transfer data, then there is no real incentive for me to get a Windows phone or tablet. But if the stuff syncs itself well, and I can put down my tablet, and resume doing whatever I was doing on my desktop without too much effort, then I'm totally willing to completely embrace the ecosystem.

I don't think this OS is described as MS's biggest gamble because they're going to do something tiny, and if its just like 7, they certainly won't get many sales. Not too many people outside techheads are going to upgrade to something they already have.

Lol, I'm sorry, but what are you disagreeing with exactly??

Seriously...

I respectfully disagree with this assessment.

The "Vista fiasco" was due to M$ jumping the gun on what was to become Windows 7. Windows 7 is a great departure from XP, but Vista is just a non tweaked Windows 7. The "simple details", are actually the bugs fixed from Vista to Win 7. For most intents and purposes, XP didn't enter into this equation, it already had been molded into a fine OS.

Hopefully Windows 8 will be as large a departure from Windows as, as 7 is to XP. Perhaps M$ will have learned enough from the Vista debacle, to not bother with an interim turd named perhaps, "Windows Lookout", and wait until 8 is truly ready before inflicting it on us.

lawfer said:

Lol, I'm sorry, but what are you disagreeing with exactly??

Seriously...

My eloquent colleague has pretty much summed it up, but basically I think Windows 8 needs to be more than just a upgrade of Windows 7. By the time Windows 9 comes out, lets say 2014, it will be too late. They need to design an OS that will integrate phones and tablets, and IMO, that's a huge departure. Maybe that's what the whole dual interface will be all about.

You want vanilla Windows 8, and you basically get the Windows 7 desktop with some added stuff.

You have a Windows phone and tablet, you use the second interface, which, hopefully, provides a way for you to sync all the devices, and seamlessly continue what you were doing from one machine to the other.

But then maybe I misunderstood the intention of your post. =)

Originally Posted by lawfer
The basic idea behind Vista's security model really should have been present in XP - it was a bad model to begin with where every task in the OS assumes it gets run with admin privileges! The *nix and Apple's OSX have handled this issue for a long time.

Microsoft's bad mistakes include that it was rushed to market before being polished as captaincranky says, as well as it took too long due to early builds being scrapped due to WinFS being infeasible etc.

Seriously, line Vista up next to Win7 and list the differences... they are almost functionally identical. Mainly cosmetic/usability changes. But those changes make all the difference to perception.

Darth Shiv

lawfer said:
That is because without those features, Windows 8 is in fact Windows 7. ;)
Not to mention that without the taskbar, a little lower resource consumption and some other minor changes, Windows 7 is in fact Vista.

captaincranky said:
I respectfully disagree with this assessment.

The "Vista fiasco" was due to M$ jumping the gun on what was to become Windows 7. Windows 7 is a great departure from XP, but Vista is just a non tweaked Windows 7. The "simple details", are actually the bugs fixed from Vista to Win 7. For most intents and purposes, XP didn't enter into this equation, it already had been molded into a fine OS.

Hopefully Windows 8 will be as large a departure from Windows as, as 7 is to XP. Perhaps M$ will have learned enough from the Vista debacle, to not bother with an interim turd named perhaps, "Windows Lookout", and wait until 8 is truly ready before inflicting it on us.

Correct me if I'm wrong... I said that the next update shouldn't be too incremental, because, unnecessary overhauls, such as what Vista was, would provoke another "debacle", because in most instances XP was (subjectively) superior to Vista. If 8 were to be an equally overhauled OS, as what Vista was (or a similarly departed OS, as Vista was from XP) doesn't that imply that, the next OS (8) is more likely to fail, due to its equally bigger alterations? In other words, it would make Windows 8, more like what Vista was to XP, which, as we all know, wasn't that good.

Now, of course, time doesn't stop, nor does innovation. But ask yourselves, Windows 7 was released in late 2009, what are you <i>really</i> expecting from "another" OS who's only been in development for only 2+ years? The same change 7 is from XP? I don't think so. 2-3 years is all it took for Microsoft to release Windows 7-- and we all know, as you've said captain, that 7 is just a tweaked (but admittedly superior) Vista. In fact, Vista feels more like a milestone to achieve what 7 is. I expect Windows 8 to be a (superior, though not game-changing) change from what 7 is to Vista, but in 2+ years I don't expect it to be amazing, as you all seem to be hoping.

And gwalio, I said that Windows 8 should be easier and more functional; you could easily tie the latter to the type of interoperability of devices that you mention you'd like to see in the next version; that, I see feasible (in fact, I would go as far as to say that that's in the works, due to the release of WP7). But other than that, I think 8 should play it safe, until the next big jump (Windows 9). That's my humble opinion.

And gwalio, I said that Windows 8 should be easier and more functional; you could easily tie the latter to the type of interoperability of devices that you mention you'd like to see in the next version; that, I see feasible (in fact, I would go as far as to say that that's in the works, due to the release of WP7). But other than that, I think 8 should play it safe, until the next big jump (Windows 9). That's my humble opinion.

From a strictly desktop point of view I agree with you that Windows 8 should not stir up too many waves, but with tablets and smartphones becoming more integrated with desktop usage, I don't think that MS has the time to wait a few more years with Windows 9. HP is already coming out with something that is going to scale across phones, tablets, and desktops, and I'm sure Apple is working on something similar.

But considering that you can pretty much get a desktop capable of doing just about anything that the average person wants to do with a computer for about $400, there will come a point where people will stop wanting a phone/tablet that will work with their desktop, and want a desktop that will work with their phone/tablet. I don't think they expected this to happen, and now they're scrambling to prevent it.

I would not be surprised if the average person has a smart phone that costs more than their desktop computer (which is probably a few years old, judging by all the people still running XP).

There is always the potential for some disruptive technology to come along that will shake everything up, but looking at current trends, MS cannot sit for a few more years. If they fail with 8, its not going to kill them, but this is not the same world that they brought Vista into.

Either case, I think that Windows 8 will be a very interesting product when it comes out, and while I won't say I'm excited, I will say I am looking forward to it.

Is micro soft cutting it's own throat? w7 does indeed work and on personal level feel its the best thing ever from microsoft.

The problem is business customers- the office buildings with hundreds or thousasnds of customers are still using XP pro-

Why would they change to even 7 if it will be superceded so soon- after that why w8? wait 2 years for w9.................................
Great eye candy but hardly necessary.

Is micro soft cutting it's own throat? w7 does indeed work and on personal level feel its the best thing ever from microsoft.

The problem is business customers- the office buildings with hundreds or thousasnds of customers are still using XP pro-

Why would they change to even 7 if it will be superceded so soon- after that why w8? wait 2 years for w9.................................
Great eye candy but hardly necessary.
Well, M$ admits that Windows 8 will be quite a gamble, but I doubt that they will, "cut their own throat". As with any of their OSes, it will or it won't face rapid adoption, but methinks they'll just write another one if it flops. I've always thought of "Vista" as the paid public beta of Windows 7. That makes sense if you imagine that Redmond didn't want to absorb any more R&D costs with their money, so they just outed the OS, and spent ours

It's pretty much a given that Win 7 is, at its core, an attempt to further integrate home entertainment with home computing. With that said, I do believe that the support for XP Pro, is still continuing, while support for XP Home has, (more or less), ceased. Hey, people can be set in their ways. After all, M$ is still trying to wean businesses, (and some die hard individuals), off of IE-6

"XP Mode" and its virtual machine is the bone that M$ has thrown to die hard XP buffs, in an attempt to coerce them to adopt 7 without regret, (while overlooking the elephant in the room, Vista). That said, XP is a fully mature and very competent OS, and with many older machines lacking hardware drivers, they'll surely go to computer heaven, their OEM copy of XP with them. At least this is the future I picture for the 6 year old eMachine I'm posting with.

XP hung around for quite a while, and if M$ is going compress the time between full new OS releases, I would think that many adopters of Win 7, will wait until Windows 9 to jump on the bandwagon. (Sort of like alcoholism allegedly skipping a generation).

And you're right, you don't need all the "Aero" eye candy on a machine in industry. But I think you absolutely need things like native AHCI support and 64 bit extended memory capability, which might serve to move people away from XP Pro, at least the 32 bit version.

Back