Lexmark x1170 no color

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Lexmark X1170 stopped color printing after changing the cartridges. The black printring is ok, but it doesnt print colors at all. This is a original Lexmark cartridge not a refill.

Get an old mug you no longer will be using for food or drink. Fill to 3/4 with water and heat in microwave until to boiling point. Drop Lexmark cartridge into hot water for 25 seconds. Wipe drive with very soft dry cotton cloth.
This usually works.
The Lexmarks are designed to fail eventually. There is a clear plastic encoder strip that the cartridge carrier rides upon which is in back of the carrier. Once it is worn, or breaks, your computer is dead. Is it possible your Lexmark is worn out from long use?

When you write 'The Lexmarks are designed to fail eventually', you do mean the cartidges don't you? The color cartidge I used is brand new. When it didn't work, I took it back to the shop and gave the assistent hell until she gave me a replacement which did not work either- poor girl. My printer isn't that old but I found the transparent band which is still intact. It seems a little bit loose but otherwise OK.

No, I mean that the encoder strip will lose its code, or the strip will become brittle and break. At the Salvation Army and the White Elephant here we through away, on average 9 a day that cannot be repaired.
Their cartridges are actually better than Epson and Canon, but not the printer. They are designed to sell ink, as are the ones Lexmark makes for Dell, Compaq, and Sony.
The date of failure will depend on your humidity and other factors. In the Southwest, their failure rate is very high.

The transparent band is not totally transparent... it has coding on it. It is okay to be quite loose, as well. But the encoding wears off and the "transparent" plastic strip does snap at some point. As far as I know, they do not sell replacement straps, nor the rubberized drive belt that also fails.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back