LG and Sony's smartphone divisions continue to struggle

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Bottom line: Some of the challenges that LG and Sony face, like increased competition from cheaper Chinese brands, aren’t unique to them. Innovation could likely solve the issues that both are experiencing but in a fatigued industry, that’s easier said than done.

LG and Sony, once two of the most popular smartphone makers in the world, continue to struggle with their mobile divisions as evident by their most recent earnings reports.

LG’s mobile communications division posted second quarter sales of $1.38 billion, an increase of 6.8 percent versus the previous quarter but a dip of 21.3 percent compared to the year-ago period. LG blamed stagnant demand in the smartphone market and continued aggressive pricing by Chinese brands as factors contributing to its lackluster results.

Sony’s electronics products & solutions group, which the mobile division now resides in, saw sales dip by around $776 million, or 15 percent, compared to the same period a year earlier. Sony said it experienced a decrease in unit sales of televisions, smartphones and digital cameras and was also negatively impacted by foreign exchange rates.

Seemingly undeterred, both companies continue to put out new phones at regular intervals and could benefit from the arrival of 5G. Sony is even reportedly working on a rollable smartphone that could launch later this year.

Permalink to story.

"LG blamed stagnant demand in the smartphone market and continued aggressive pricing by Chinese brands as factors contributing to its lackluster results."

Yup. I've had almost everything but a Chinese phone, and they look good, so my next phone will be a Xiaomi.

They don't make bad phones, they just don't have the appeal Samsung has or low prices Chinese phone makers have.

LG are a bit of a joke. Support is terrible, failure to acknowledge issues, glacially slow OS updates and only for a very short time. I'm no fan of Samesung, but I wouldn't ever touch an LG phone again. Sony pulled out of Australian smartphone market so couldn't care less, but I never liked their styling or their cameras IQ. Others using the same sensors did a lot better job than Sony.

LG are a bit of a joke. Support is terrible, failure to acknowledge issues, glacially slow OS updates and only for a very short time. I'm no fan of Samesung, but I wouldn't ever touch an LG phone again. Sony pulled out of Australian smartphone market so couldn't care less, but I never liked their styling or their cameras IQ. Others using the same sensors did a lot better job than Sony.

Strange. My LG G6 thinq has been rock solid for the last year I've had it. It's literally been the most bug free phone I've had in the last 10 years. I've never needed support. I've gotten numerous OS updates. I wonder what the last LG phone you had was cause I've had none of these issues. I'd buy another LG phone tomorrow.

"LG blamed stagnant demand in the smartphone market and continued aggressive pricing by Chinese brands as factors contributing to its lackluster results."

Yup. I've had almost everything but a Chinese phone, and they look good, so my next phone will be a Xiaomi.
I took the plunge on the Pocophone and I don't regret it. S/N: Xiaomi's UI is convoluted w/ no sense of direction so you're better off backing up the original OS and flashing a custom rom on it

I dropped my Samsung a few years ago and got an LG. I was very happy with it. So much that last year I bought a new LG and I LOVE it. My wife also has a LG and she too is very happy with hers. They have very good quality yet low prices.

Back