LG Super Multi DVD Drive Failing To Read !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ragebflame

Hi,
I am having a problem with my DVD burner (LG GSA-4167b). It is failing to read ALL of my cds and DVDs. When i insert a disc it makes a kind of laser reading noise and then stops. I my computer it changes to a cd-rom drive. :(

My first inpression is that the drive had failed but i only have it for 6 months.
The last thing i did on it was burn a movie to dvd, after that it has this problem, i have made no hardware or software changes only installed Lavalys Everest Ultimate Edition, which im sure isint part of the problem.

Any help would be great as i need this urgently to burn some data. :)

Hi

From the threads I have read on here, most DVD burners have a very short life span, the more you use the less time it lasts basically. it is possible that the disks you have may be faulty, that to has been mentioned here before and people who have changed their brand of disks sometimes find the problem stops.

I dont think there are any DVD test tools you can use to test it but I may be wrong.

If it is faulty, I would suggest buying a better brand than LG, these are the cheapest on the market and use 3rd party boards inside. I'm no definative expert on what is the best make to buy, but like anything else you get what you pay for.

Regards

See http://aumha.org/reg3.htm

All of the LG's have two laser units, so you can have a partial failure while it seems good. Many of them have a rubber drive belt that can slip off. You can access it with four or six screws after you take it out of the computer and slip the belt back on. It is a round rubberized material.
Most LG's have 1-yr warranty, so you can take it back with receipt for exchange at some vendors, but have to mail it in for others after it is a month old.

Thanks for the quick responses guys,
Emm, the drive is almost new so i hope it hasnt failed, but i dont mind returning it for a better brand, I am werary of opening it to try the manual repair method as it might void the warrenty (which there is a 24 month one with). I just want to be sure that it has failed beyond 'easy' repair. I have been using the same dicks from day one and i have tried several differant brands including games and such. Still no luck.

Dan

Boot off of a bootable CD. If it does that the drive can read cds, and it points to a problem inside of Windows. If it can't boot off the CD, you have a dead drive or bad connector cable.

I tried booting the windows xp pro disk and it didnt see it( good idea SNGX1275). Im guessing its dead but ill have a look inside to see if everythings in order.

Check the channels in the device manager under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers to make sure they haven't changed from DMA to PIO mode.

Sorry, i forgot to mention i checked that already. I have returned the drive this morning and I will be getting a refund or a replacement soon, so im happy:grinthumb .

Thanks for all your help fella's, It was vital to getting my problem solved.

Regards, Dan

P.s.any help with this, and you guys are kings https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic67420.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back