LG teases the G4 (again) with f/1.8 camera reveal

Scorpus

Staff member

LG is gearing up to launch their next flagship Android smartphone, the G4, on April 28th in a series of events across the globe. Clearly the company is extremely excited about the launch too, because they just can't help but tease the device and reveal some of its features.

The latest teaser trailer for the G4 reveals that the camera will have an f/1.8 lens, which is a full stop brighter than the f/2.4 lens found in its predecessor, the G3. This means a lot more light will hit the sensor, and presuming it still comes with optical image stabilization, images will turn out looking brighter and with better background blur.

LG has also teased the LG UX 4.0, which is the latest version of their Android skin set to debut on the G4. The skin will be "simpler and easier" than previous versions, with an all new look that contains only the essentials, plus some new features. This new skin will almost certainly be using Android 5.0 as a base operating system.

Of the supposedly new features shown in the clip, some are upgrades on existing functionality, such as Smart Bulletin and Smart Notice. Others, such as a manual camera mode, organizing photos by location, and unique ringtones for important contacts, are new to LG's custom Android skin.

As we saw previously, the LG G4 is expected to use a brand new 5.5-inch QHD+ display. Rumor has it the smartphone will also come with a Snapdragon 808 SoC, and potentially a leather (real or fake) back panel.

Permalink to story.

The SGS6 is going to be a tough act for all these other players to follow as far as I'm concerned and if I was in the market for a high end device my order would have already been placed.

A F-stop that large will be great for shallower depth of field. Now if only they implemented an aperture priority mode on the camera software, and stopped the megapixel race and instead used fewer larger pixels like Apple and HTC, this would be the perfect phone camera.

The SGS6 is going to be a tough act for all these other players to follow as far as I'm concerned and if I was in the market for a high end device my order would have already been placed.
The lack of micro-SD is what has stopped me from jumping on the SG6 bandwagon so far. The M9 camera issues are troubling as well. We will see what the final specs are and how the reviews fall on this G4 before I make my final decision.

The lack of micro-SD is what has stopped me from jumping on the SG6 bandwagon so far. The M9 camera issues are troubling as well. We will see what the final specs are and how the reviews fall on this G4 before I make my final decision.
They're all nice devices but nothing is ever perfect. The lack of memory expansion doesn't bother me in the least, I'm more concerned about the non removable battery but things seem to be moving that way so I'll just have to get used to it.
That said I have no intention of buying it, mid range devices are good enough for me.

A F-stop that large will be great for shallower depth of field. Now if only they implemented an aperture priority mode on the camera software, and stopped the megapixel race and instead used fewer larger pixels like Apple and HTC, this would be the perfect phone camera.

I've been screaming this for the last couple years. These *****s that think more megapixels equals better photographs...morons. As you know, this is a PINHOLE sensor. Heck, 4/3's, APS-C sensors are 10-15 times larger than the sensor in your average cell phone. More megapixels in something that small, just introduces crosstalk (noise) making for some interesting low light photos.
The other thing about "modern" photography that bugs me is people just don't think, before they take a photo, and, when the results turn out not to their liking, the first thing they blame is "the camera".
When I started taking photos, in the early 70's, film was expensive, so you wanted to make sure every shot counted. You'd size up the scene, think about the lighting, the exposure, everything before snapping. When camera companies put the "Green A" on camera, to me, it started to go downhill. Add digital to the mix and it made it even worse. It amazes me, to see people running around with a 1000 dollar dSLR, with a n 1000 dollar or more lens, and they never take the d*mn think off the green A automatic mode.
The other think that just makes me shake my head is blurry cell phone photos, which of course, get blamed on no optic image stabilization. Well, if you had a light meter and histogram (Camera FV-5 does), you could see if you needed to change the shutter speed, the "iso" speed etc to obtain a good photo. Along with that, people just can't hold a camera still. Maybe its OCD, ACHD or something, but people just are too much in a hurry to use a camera phone. (sorry, off my soapbox)

Really?? I have an "old" LG G2 that would beat the crap out of the S4-S5.

Do a simple google search, G2 vs GS4 or G2 vs GS5
Are you serious man? That's the way kids make their decisions.
A more sensible consumer would read/watch reviews on the products they're interested in (in our case we're talking about phones here), goes out and compares those phones at a brick & mortar store, decides which one is the more appropriate for them then chucks their money in the face of an e-tailer who offers the best deal.
The best phone on the market is the one that you bought, not necessarily the one the reviewer gave a 10/10 score to, they are merely flawed humans as well and have their favourite brands just like us.

Last edited:
The best phone on the market is the one that you bought, not necessarily the one the reviewer gave a 10/10 score to, they are merely flawed humans as well and have their favourite brands just like us.

That's why you don't stick to 1 search. Although it IS better :)

That's why you don't stick to 1 search. Although it IS better :)
1 search? I'll assume you mean 1 review.
Of course you don't rely on 1 review and it's not better than reading or watching a few reviews but there is no substitute for checking out and testing the device yourself which I always try do or the seller and I don't have a deal. I'm talking about brand new devices here, not 2nd hand stuff from eBay or what have you, I never buy anything 2nd hand anyway so I don't know how that works.

Back