Limited or No Connection - Unable to Renew IP Address

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read a few forums online regarding this issue, but have not found one that will resolve my problem. I have an HP ze2000 that will not connect to the internet. I have tried wirelessly (and can connect to my router with other devices, so I know that is not the issue), via ethernet, and have even tried using my blackberry as a modem. With both wireless and ethernet it says it's connected with limited or no connectivity. When trying to repair, it gives an error that it can't renew my IP address. With the Blackberry (thru Standard Modem), it shows that it's connected, but still no access to the internet.

I have to admit I'm not that tech savvy, but I do learn quickly and can comprehend well. I've already tried (with the hep of a tech support rep) most of the steps listed in the previous forum www . techspot . com/ vb/all/windows /t-28312- Unable-to-renew-ip- address--limited-connectivity .html (remove spaces). This includes checking Device Manager, checking Network Connection properties, checking Windows Log errors, running Winsock (don't remember exactly what, but I just wrote in what the tech guy said and I know it had something to do with renew/refresh and some other stuff), as well as restarting after cancelling all the startups and system stuff in msconfig (to make sure nothing was interfering) and still get the same… the one thing I haven't done is to uninstall and reinstall the driver, but I'm not sure if that would even help considering it's happening on the ethernet (Realtek), wireless (broadband 802 wlan), and standard modem. I also pulled up ipconfig/all because that was suggested in another forum, but not sure what to look for (listed below is some of the stuff I noticed, not sure if it has to do with anything)…

IP routing not enabled
Wins proxy not enabled
Wireless Net Connection:
AutoConfig enabled.
default gateway is blank.
IP address, physical address, and subnet mask all listed.

Not sure if this makes a difference, but I've also tried connecting to my router's settings url and am unable to pull that page up also.
I'm not sure if I've tried a static IP or manually setting my IP address (because I was doing a lot that the tech rep had me try)… could someone ellaborate on how I would do that so I could see if I have yet or not?

I was also thinking of just removing and reloading windows on it, anyone think that will help?

Thanks a bunch!!
Adi

P.S. I have Windows XP home edition, Service Pack 3

Security on Router

I actually have 2 routers. My main is a WEP and I've never had a problem with it before. the other connects to the first with an ethernet cable (an @home router for T-Mobile) and I think it has a WPA. I don't actually have the key for this one because I can't access its address (192.168.0.1 or 192.168.24.1). However, it does have a button that transmits the key to a device (meant mostly for mobile phones) that works for my blackberry, but I can't pick it up from my laptop.

the first router has never given me issues before and I have the key for it directly from the router. I can connect to it fine on my phone and it shows it's connected with my laptop, but just doesn't give me connectivity.

Also, though, I am having issues with WEP, WPA, as well as just using my blackberry as a standard modem.

1) For now, let's just focus on your LAN connection. (Lots more variables involved when you connect wireless ) so for now be sure your LAN cable is connected to your router
2) Please tell me the make/model of your router
3) You should go ahead and reinstall your ethernet LAN network driver because:
==> It might be your problem
==> Since you say you;ve already changed some settings,we're best if you uninstall/reinstall so we know its back to default settings
4) Download the driver from the HP support site. But i see there are many variations of the HP ze2000 (click here). Before download, chheck to be sure of your exact HP ze2000 model (and tell us too)

AFTER you've reinstalled the driver if the problem still exists
Check if Windows reports any problem devices
  • First make sure all your devices are connected and powered on
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post
Run ipconfig /all as follows
Click Start->Run, copy/paste the command line into the Run box. Then attach the file it will create on your desktop to your next post
Code:
cmd /c ipconfig /all > "%userprofile%\desktop\out.txt"

I will check and see if I can get that driver installed, but with no internet connection it will likely be difficult. Is it possible to only install that driver with my windows disc? Or do I have to download it from the website? When you download it, is it an .exe file that I can save and open to run the installer on my computer at home from a flash drive?

Also, I'm pretty sure I checked the Device Manager before changing the stuff that the tech guy had me do. (He said most of it was just clearing out histories and whatnot) and it showed all drivers as okay, including the Standard Modem that's giving me problems as well.

update the NIC and WiFi drivers. If other WiFi devices can be renewed, then the router is ok -- if not, then update the router firmware

Awesome, thanks! I'll try that... but now I have another problem to deal with first, it won't turn on. I'm going to try a friend's power cord and battery to see if either of them is the issue... (sigh)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back