Linux Mint 12 keep slowing down

Hello everyone I have a dell studio 1558 laptop and its specs follows:
Ram: 4 GB
Processor: Intel core i5
Two day back I have install lunix mint 12 on my laptop as an alternative os but the problem is it keep slowing down but the system rum fine when I run windows 7.

Then update it again, with a --fix-missing argument (assuming you use aptitude or apt-get). Then, run apt-get -f install or aptitude -f install.
What kernel version are you using? Is the storage nearing full capacity? What Desktop Environment are you using?

Like Marnomancer mentioned, we need to know which version of Linux Mint you are using. Linux Mint12 KDE? Linux Mint Debian Edition 2012 (LMDE) MATE/Cinnamon? LMDE 2012 XFCE?

I guess you have installed the MATE/Cinnamon edition, so there should be some problems related to GPU driver or MATE/Cinnamon composite manager.
If yes, try installing XFCE edition which is a lightweight and laptop friendly desktop environment and giving it a go. I think you will be also able to install XFCE desktop environment from Linux Mint package manager and selecting XFCE in login manager too.

EDIT: First try installing correct FGLRX driver for your RadeonHD graphics card, then consider installing XFCE if you need to save more battery.

Yes, you could go for XFCE for ease of use and accessibility and extremely low memory and CPU usage.
Or LXDE if you are more concerned about overhead resource consumption. Navigating and finding what you want can be a bit uncomfortable in LXDE sometimes though.

When is the system slowing down? Is it when your particularly stressing the computer with something 3D intensive?

More details are needed really, and you do need to sort the GPU driver.

Back