Microsoft Surface Laptop Go 3 arrives October 2 starting at $800

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In a nutshell: Microsoft's new Surface Laptop Studio 2 may be the most powerful Surface the company has ever built, but the Surface Laptop Go 3 is its lightest and most portable. The new Surface Laptop Go 3 packs a 12.4-inch (1,536 x 1,024 resolution, 148 PPI) PixelSense display with 10-point multi-touch that's protected by Corning's Gorilla Glass 3. Driving the experience is a 12th Gen Intel Core i5-1235U processor alongside up to 16 GB of LPDDR5 RAM, a 256 GB removable solid-state drive, and Intel Iris Xe Graphics.

Creature comforts include Windows Hello sign-in via a fingerprint power button, a 720p front-facing camera, Omnisonic speakers with Dolby Audio Premium, a USB-C 3.2 port, a USB-A 3.1 port, a 3.5mm headphone jack, and a Surface Connect port. Wi-Fi 6 and Bluetooth 5.1 come standard, as does Windows 11 Home. Battery life is rated at up to 15 hours, but of course mileage will vary depending on device usage.

The Surface Laptop Go 3 measures 278 mm x 206 mm x 15.7 mm (10.95 in x 8.12 in x 0.62 in) and tips the scale at 1.13 kg (2.49 pounds), making it far more portable than the Laptop Studio 2. Of course, it's far less powerful as well – a fact that is reflected in the price tag.

Microsoft's Surface Laptop Go 3 starts at $799.99 for a model with 8 GB of RAM; if you want to double it to 16 GB, it'll cost you an extra $200. That almost feels criminal considering how cheap memory is right now. A quick check over on Newegg reveals an 8GB stick of DDR5 laptop memory starts around $22, but Microsoft wants $200 for it?

Just to be sure, I reached out to a Microsoft sales rep to confirm that RAM capacity was the only difference between the two models. I was also unable to determine if the memory is user-expandable, meaning it is almost certainly soldered onto the motherboard so you're stuck with whatever you order.

Available color options include sage, platinum, ice blue, or sandstone, and all models come backed by a 1-year limited hardware warranty. Look for it to launch on October 2.

Permalink to story.

I still have my original Surface Go with keyboard and I use it everyday. As a travel laptop it's very good but I'm a bit surprised there isn't much difference between my original and the latest iteration. Battery life seems much better but I'd want something like the dual screen Yoga 9i to upgrade.

God that Surface Go is rubbish. Only thing going for it, is it runs a real OS. If Apple would develop a MacOS lite for iPad Pro's, give them USB ports and support for mouse it would be game over.

Wow, look at surface go price tag..
you can buy another decent laptop with that price.. or android tablet if all you have to do is typing and watching movies..

Wow, look at surface go price tag..
you can buy another decent laptop with that price.. or android tablet if all you have to do is typing and watching movies..
I remember when for a long time it was among few this thin windows devices. I mean it was much thinner than thinnest laptops at the time. I think it was appealing for some people.

Criminal is to buy this product. For much less you buy a much better laptop, 1920x1080 or 1920x1200 screen and enough from everything. This is a robbery pure and simple.

There are even still excellent deals for the SP8 or even the SP9 + keyboard...

Back