Lite-on dvdrw sohw-1633s not running

Status
Not open for further replies.
about 3 weeks ago, i posted a problem i've had for many, many months after trying to upgrade my xp-home system to xp-professional. somewhere along the way, something was changed so that now my dvd/cd drive will not operate. no disc will load in or play. my system certifies that the drive is working properly. i even went as far as wiping out everything and reloaded my pc with its factory setting. i still have the problem. there is nothing wrong with the hardware. a friend placed the dvd/cd unit into one of his pc's and it worked fine. something has been changed in my pc that keeps me from being able to use my drive. can anyone help? -bill

Most optical drives have a short life. The more they are used, the shorter the life. When they are moved around, they quickly become out of alignment. Those internal alignments have such narrow tolerances that they can appear to work properly and will usually test ok but the reader and writer cannot work.
Luckily, they can be found for sale cheaply. Try www.directron.com, for instance, where good optical drives can be found for $22 to $29.
We recommend Plextor which is higher priced, then Pioneer, Philips, LG, LiteOn, Samsung, Asus, Toshiba, and very few others.
You might want to avoid Sony Nec, HP, HLDS, HL, Acer, and most others not listed above because they have a shorter life and a longer history of failures.
If you have a laptop, look for Toshiba or Teac.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back