Local printing through VPN

Hi there, I am new to this forum though I have went through a couple of threads regarding VPN but I can't seem to find my answer. I work in an IT department and have to users which are not on the business domain. To make use of a program hosted on our server they connect via VPN to out network and then join a remote desktop. Both of them make use of a network printer. Now one of them has a PC with Win 7 and the other one with XP. When they connect to the VPN though only the user on the Win 7 PC is allowed to print, the other user's job only goes into the print queue and he has to disconnect from the VPN and then it prints. Both user's VPN permissions are the same as I asked the network admin and the printer settings should be the same on both PCs as I checked them. Help would be greatly appreciated as I have been working on this for a very long time with no avail. Thanks

the other user's job only goes into the print queue and he has to disconnect from the VPN and then it prints.
Wow, is that strange or what (but that's why your here too I guess). The fact that it is queued says the data path from the user->system->print queue is just fine - - and that says permissions are ok. I suspect that the users program is not closing the output file. Have the user try a simple test using NOTEPAD printing to the remote printer.

Next I would look for software updates to the XP VPN software and then to XP print driver for that device.

Back