Lock out printer

Status
Not open for further replies.

cogenmaster

I have a Cannon I-850 running on XP home edition. Is there a way that I can password the printer to keep my young children from using all my ink on their games.

I'm guessing that you only have the one login account the admin one, and your kids are using that one as well, as far as i know you cant password protect a printer, what i can suggest is to give your kids a seperate login account and not have a printer insatalled on that account, and dont give them admin rights, then password protect your login account (admin) so they cant access the printer.

If your children log in under their own user-ID(s), you could disable the printer in your children's profile(s). Go to Start/Settings/Printers and select the properties of that printer. There will be a Security-tab somewhere where you can un-tick the Printing for any specific user(s)

then password protect your login account (admin) so they cant access the printer.

Make certain you keep this password where it's safe. If lost Microsoft says your only option is RE_INSTALL XP.

Another possibility would be to install that printer in your childrens profile, but set the printer to only use greyscale and prevent the children from changeing the printer-properties (would require Admin rights to change). That way at least they CAN use a printer.

Seperate Login

Thanks for all your replies. Yes I do just have one adminstration login. I knew that I could make them a login with restricted access but I have been down that route before and my wife doesn't like to have to switch accounts when she wants to use the computer. Why it that is so difficult I can't blinking tell you.

If you can justify the amount of use, why not buy the kids their own PC? (secondhand if you want). No printer attached to it will solve the original problem also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back