Logitech G502 Proteus Core Review: 4K-friendly 12,000 DPI Gaming Mouse

Steve

Staff member
Read the full article at:
[newwindow=https://www.techspot.com/review/821-logitech-g502-proteus-core/]https://www.techspot.com/review/821-logitech-g502-proteus-core/[/newwindow]

Please leave your feedback here.

Seems pretty "leet" but I think I'm going to stick with my trusty Logitech G5.

Mice are very personal things and a lot of gamers tend to stick with their favourite brand, this one has "boy racer" written all over it.

Last edited:
Went from Performance MX to G602 (via a MadCatz/Cyborg MMO 7 mouse that I sold on) recently and very happy with the change. This looks like the next evolution of the G602 other than not being wireless.

I loved my old G5 then it died after 4-5 years of heavy usage bought a g400 and while the sensor is superior everything else is lacking build quality scroll wheel etc. I even went out and bought a g500 for a friend when I tried it later I hated it even more then the cheaper g400. The g500 also died after 3 months :s I am hoping this will be better the sensor atleast it's supposed to be one of if not the best on the market.

I always hated the sensitivity adjustment buttons but atleast the logitech software allows you to map them to other keys. For instance I use ctrl+w and alt f4 to close tabs or windows depending on application, F5 to refresh and back/forward on the side buttons.

Logitechs software has never worked properly when assigning keybinds per application though and I have been through every update since old 3.00 setpoint. Sometimes it does the default keybind instead of the application specific one. Easily fixed by re-focusing the window, however if like me you have it set to alt-f4 or something and it accidently closes your work for instance. Can be frustrating I doubt it will ever be fixed though since I have been waiting over 7 years. Even tried third party 'uber options' for setpoint 4.80

I will probably get this mouse...and only for one reason: surface tuning.
I find that so many mice out there just seem to not work well on certain surfaces and if this will allow me to calibrate the mouse, I'm for it!

It seems to me like this is the G9X replacement.

Noob question: can someone explain how the DPI is connected to the resolution?

It seems to me like this is the G9X replacement.

Noob question: can someone explain how the DPI is connected to the resolution?

DPI stands for Dots Per Inch, the more dots you have to travel the faster you need the mouse to be. More res means more little dots ;)

I will probably get this mouse...and only for one reason: surface tuning.
I find that so many mice out there just seem to not work well on certain surfaces and if this will allow me to calibrate the mouse, I'm for it!

Agreed its a nice feature.

I need 12,000 DPI for my mouse just as badly as I do 4K screen for my 4" phone.

You won't need to use this mouse on your phone though. It would be worse than useless.

I picked one of these up shortly after launch and I'm pretty happy with it. Came from my old Razer Mamba. My only issue right now is that the scroll wheel isn't my favorite. It has 2 modes - locked (so it clicks) and unlocked (so it spins) and neither really are perfect for me. Overall though I'm pretty happy.

I gave a Logitech G700 and I'm still trying to figure the comfortability in the g buttons. The 4 on the left side? I wonder the way these are placed are much better.

Cool, it maybe about time to replace my old Logitech G5 Gaming mouse I have had since high school. Its the only part of my computer that has stayed the same all these years (Mostly because it works and feel great). I may have to look into this since I intend to buy a 4k display soon enough.

I too heavily favor the Performance MX because of how it feels in my hand. However It's come to my attention that some games do not treat secondary buttons (aka all the thumb buttons) correctly, leading to them basically unusable. Maybe I'll take a look at this mouse, since it's button layout is not stupid or overboard.

I started withg the G5,used it madly,wore it out and got the updated version,G500.Im on my secong one of those having clicked out the micro switches due to being retired and playing games too much.When my current G500 dies,or this new G502 comes available at a reduced rate,I will,WILL< be getting one.The DPI would be way too fast for me,but the programable buttons and the weight adjustment together with surface adjustment will do it for me.I tried the G700,too many buttons and too close together for me,sold it to a friend for same as I paid and got my current G500;plus the 700 DIDNT have weight adjustment,and thats what I love most about the logitech mice.I live in Australia so will be watching for availability and pricing when it becomes available here.

Is that a bad thing if it's not ridiculously over-priced?
The G502 is £70 on Amazon, which is a ridiculous amount to pay for a wired computer mouse, especially knowing much of the sensitivity is pointless - and you know they'll be sticking that "capability" in the price.

The G502 is $80 US on newegg.com and that is a perfectly reasonable price for a mouse of this quality. As we stated in our review; completely ignoring the 12,000 DPI feature we still believe the G502 is excellent value and we don't seem to be alone. Virtually every other review that followed ours said much the same thing. Which mouse would you buy?

It would be over engineered if it turned into a transformer when you were done and put itself away but if Logitech was still only charging $80 then it would just be stupidly cool. $800 and you might have a case.

The G502 is $80 US on newegg.com and that is a perfectly reasonable price for a mouse of this quality. As we stated in our review; completely ignoring the 12,000 DPI feature we still believe the G502 is excellent value and we don't seem to be alone. Virtually every other review that followed ours said much the same thing. Which mouse would you buy?

It would be over engineered if it turned into a transformer when you were done and put itself away but if Logitech was still only charging $80 then it would just be stupidly cool. $800 and you might have a case.
Something in the £30-£40 range is perfectly sufficient for a PC gamer.

Please don’t generalize. Something like….??? You can’t call the G502 overpriced and then not show us a cheaper/better option. We don’t believe there really is one, nothing clearly better other than personal preference. If you can show me a $50 mouse that’s better please do.

Please don’t generalize. Something like….??? You can’t call the G502 overpriced and then not show us a cheaper/better option. We don’t believe there really is one, nothing clearly better other than personal preference. If you can show me a $50 mouse that’s better please do.
I never once said a £30-£40 mouse would be "better". I said it would be perfectly sufficient for a PC gamer, rather than the over-engineered (for a huge majority of gamers) G502.

Back