Logitech MX1000 mouse

Status
Not open for further replies.

olefarte

Has anybody here that has a MX1000 mouse had any problems with the pointer being very erratic and jittery? I started experiencing this a few weeks ago, and it just kept getting worse and worse. I checked the Logitech forums and found out that a lot of people are having this problem. There are new drivers that are supposed to solve this problem, but that didn't work for me and a lot of others.

Anyway, I called Logitech this morning and after a few questions, they are sendiing me a new mouse to replace the one I have. The were very easy to deal with and tried to be helpful. Just thought I give them a pat on the back.

It remains to be seen if this problem is fixed though, as I have seen that even some of the replacement mice are defective. I guess I'll fiind out in a couple of days.

I have had my Logitech MX1000 for one week and I am in love with it. Mice have never been my favorite critters, but I learned to live with them because I had to. When I bought my computer earlier this year and it had an optical mouse included, I was very happy to be rid of the cord and the infernal mouse ball. Then I realized that the thing was using batteries by the score.

When I saw the MX 1000 at Sam's, I wasn't even interested in the performance, only the rechargeable battery. I have had no trouble, as you describe, but I have seen many consumer reviews by people who have.

It took me some time to get used to the size and shape and I had to relearn how to hold the mouse because, apparently I had been doing it wrong all these years, but that and the location of the "cruise up" button are the only problems that I have had and I've gotten used to those.

I used my old HP optical mouse today, just for comparison and I can't believe how lousy it feels and performs. I use my mouse on an old wood-grain formica dining table and it is just a joy to use.

When you consider how much I hated the mouse when Windows was first introduced and how utterly unenamored I have been with it for the last ten-plus years, it is all the more remarkable that I would be singing the praises of one.

This is one fine product.

I've used Logitech mice for over 12 years now. Currently on the MX700 wireless optical.
After a few freeze-ups in the beginning, it has been rock-stable.
Attach it to a USB2.0-port directly to the PC for best results, and keep the base (=transmitter) away from monitors and speakers.

I forgot to post back here, but I recieved my replacement mouse very quickly, they shipped it next day air. It works prefectly, with no problems, except once in a while it will just feeze for a few seconds, but that doesn't happen often, so I can live with it. And that may be because I have the base station to close to my computer and moniter and some other things, but that's the best I can do.

They didn't even want the old mouse back. I guess that shows I wasn't the first one to call in on this, and the knew they had a problem.

Back again with the same problem. I had to call Logitech again today, about the same problem. The cursor jumps around, and I can just barely click on anything, unless I slow the cursor speed down to almost nothing. When I move it down, slowly, it goes up instead. It also freezes every now and then. It seemed to be alright after I got it, but it has gotten worse.

Again, no problem with Logitech support. They are sending me another one. This will be the third one, hope it works better. I'm trying to be patient. As long as they are sending a new mouse, I guess I can still be patient.

Next time, try and "hang" the base-station under your desk, or get some so-called MU-metal, which you then form in a shoebox-shape, without bottom, and with one short end open to send the signal to the mouse. It will protect the base-station from radio- and other interference.
You MUST move that base away from speakers, monitors etc.

Thanks for the advice guys. I've tried the base station in every place available, as far as the cord will let it. I've done everything that the Logitech support site suggests, and some that the tech's suggested. The nearest cordless phone is about thirty feet, or more away. Nothing has helped. I've not tired the "shoebox" yet, but I will.

Logitech seems to think I was sent another defective mouse, hence the third one is coming. Believe me, I am not the only one with this problem. The Logitech forums, as well as many others, have many posts on this problem. Best I've been able to tell, from the beginning up to a certain serial number, are prone to have this problem, although not all of them. Many people, I suppose most, have not had any problems. Hopefully, I'll get a good one this tiime.

I don't think the bases are interchangable, but I don't have an MX700, wish I did though. Anyway, the new one should be here today, I hope.

Thanks.

I've read this thread 3 times (so I skipped over the rest of it this time - I may be off on a few things) and everytime I read it the same thing comes to mind. What kind of surface are you using this on? Have you tried changing the surface out using different materials? Something not so shiny/reflective might help. I've seen this type of behavior from a normal optical mouse (non-laser) but only when I use it on glass or a reflective metal.

I've tried it on every surface I can think of, don't use anything reflective at all. Logitech suggested trying it on white paper, doesn't work on that either. It does seem to work best on a flat white surface though, but that still won't fix the problem I have with it. If I speed the cursor speed up past about three notches, it jumps around so much, it's impossible to click on anything, I've even had to get my old cordless mouse out and use it, in order to get the speed slowed back down enough in order to use this new one. It's that bad. The old one is rock steady, but the new one is so much more responsive, it's hard to go back, at least I don't want to.

I also have a Logitech cordless keyboard, that uses a seperate transmitter, (the two aren't compatible), and I thought this might be causing a problem, but Logitech says no. As I don't have another keyboard anymore, I can't check this out myself. Also have a Logitech cordless joystick, but I unplugged it, and still didn't help any. Cordless headphones, same thing, no help there.

As I said, I'm not the only one to experience this problem. As much as I've read about it in other forums, I'm really surprised nobody else here at TS has seen it.

Oh, and I just checked to see when my new one will arrive, and I guess I won't be getting it today after all, it's temporarily "out of stock".

To continue my saga of my mouse, I still have't recieved a replacement yet. But I keep trying to find something to work, and referring back to what Papa said, I thought I had tried it on every kind of surface. Logitech avidly suggested using it on white paper, and I would never have thought THIS possible after that, but by chance, today, I had the mouse in my lap, with BLACK pants on, and moved it along my leg, and low and behold, the cursor quit jumping. So I got a piece of black cloth and am now using it for a mouse pad, and it works great. No more jumping and freezing. Go figure. I would have never thought about this, after Logitech saying to use it on white paper.

It still should work on a regular surface, so I'm still waiting on my replacement.

olefarte said:
Logitech seems to think I was sent another defective mouse, hence the third one is coming.
Wow, I think that is just bad luck, olefarte! I have been using my Logitech MX1000 for a couple of weeks, and it has been working flawlessly.

I'm sorry to hear that you're having such bad luck with a mouse, but I am sure you'll enjoy it once every works out for you.

Once you get a new replacement and it actually works, you may be surprised on how many surfaces the mouse will work on. Let me just recommend that you grab any flat (sometimes doesn't even need to be a flat surface) and try to see if the mouse works on it. :)

Cheers!

I've had problems on and off with my mx1000, but I found resetting the mouse or base will fix them, but only briefly. After experimentation I've found also just nudging the base over an inch will suddenly fix the issue as well, like it's developed it's own localised signal distortion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back