Looking for new 29" monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.
looking for new monitor?

i now have an old gateway vivitron 15... and my eyes are starting to deteriorate from all of the graphics work and gaming that i do. I am looking to buy a new monitor. i'm thinking of a 29 inch and im wondering if that would be overkill? i dont want anything too small, but i want it nice and biiiig. money is no object with my summer job. any input would be appreciated!

29 inches, thats gigantic!! I shudder to think how much it would cost. Anyways, a nice Sony 21" monitor should be plenty big enough, and they are really nice! Hehe, only like at least 1500 bucks too.

First of all :wave: :wave: Welcome to 3D Spotlight Forums :wave: :wave:

And second of all, just think of how much deskspace that will take up. I have a 21" now and it takes up enough as it is. I guess you could set it next to your desk or something, but I agree with Svoboda, that a 29" is way overkill. Unless of course you just want one really bad.

I think he may have meant 19". If not then these guys are correct. My brother has a 27" and it is tough to read text on. I would suggest another vivitron. Sony screens are really nice. Mitsubishi makes the diamondtron which is the same as the Sony screen.

If you are going after price check out Viewsonic, Samsung and LG.
If you are looking for a 19 and not a 29 inch, check out this thread:

http://www.3dspotlight.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=296

Dell is having a sale in their 'accessories' dept. currently. Some monitors have a 20% discount after being added to your 'cart' . You may want to examine the 19" Dell P991 (Sony FD Trinitron). Yesterday it was $280.00 shipped (free shipping in US).

This is a great monitor worthy of your attention. Check it out.

I'm going to throw in a plug for my monitor the Samsung 955DF. It's a 19" monitor and it is plenty big!! My friend has a 21" Dell trinitron and it is gigantic. I couldn't imagine anyone wanted something bigger than that.

If your a real big spender you might want to check out some plasma monitors up to 50 inches!!! They also cost a ton of money.

Just my 2 cents.

A lot of people working with graphics opt for dual monitors and use software to split the desktop area across two.
This would probably be cheaper than buying a 24" Sony. You could get two 19" monitors for that sort of price. For value for money a couple of Iiyama monitors at 19" would be nice.
I know LNCpapa runs 2 or 3 monitors so maybe he could give you some advice on this matter...

I think a 21 inch is overkill - 27 inch... have you ever sat as close to your 27 inch TV as you would to your 17 inch monitor?

Speaking of deteriorate, nothing like a HUGE monitor in front of you to bath you in glorious radiation

What graphics card are you using?
This will have some bearing on what resolutions you can run on such a large screen.
For instance Leadtek detail their latest card (GF4Ti4600) as follows:
From www.leadtek.com :
640x480 8/16/32 bits 60Hz to 240Hz
1920x1200 32 bits 60Hz to 85Hz
1920x1440 8/16 bits 60Hz to 85Hz
1920x1440 32 bits 60Hz to 75Hz
2048x1536 8/16 bits 60Hz to 75Hz
2048x1536 32 bits 60Hz

So you have to be aware that the output of your graphics card could limit the refresh rate that your screen will display. The RAMDAC of the card will be the limiting factor

If money is really not a concern for you I would probably suggest a couple of these MONITORS which you can find on pricewatch for $643 each. $1300 give or take a hundred and you can have a really nice dual display setup - but do you really need it? If you really need a lot of realestate then maybe this is the way for you. You can usually store all your toolbars and stuff on one screen while working with your actual image/mesh/model/whatever on the other. I'd make sure my video card can do things exactly the way I want before I do that though. Also, 22" monitors are becoming more common (I don't have one and I can't see spending $2000+ on the apple cinema display 22" with such a low max res) and cheaper so that may be an option. The only 22" I've used is the Apple Cinema Display though and I really can't recommend it for the price/performance. I agree - it is pretty though. 24" monitors are showing up now too (no experience with them whatsoever) but I'm sure they'll be big money, prolly more than two 21" Sony's. There goes my $.02 - hope it helps a bit.

LNCPapa

Yeah, I'd like a 50 inch plasma display...:haha:...

I'm using an Apple monitor on my older system and it uses an adapter. Works just fine, except it's just a cruddy monitor :dead:

Yes, Apple monitors would work on PC's, and I would like an Apple display, simply because the color saturation and dot pitch looks wonderful :eek:

29 inches? Depends on the person. Sure, I'd love one, but some people just find it overkill (such as Svoboda...)
Just be sure your video card can support resolutions of over 1280x1024 :haha:

now THATS what im talking about

that samsung looks GREAT. i think i'll settle with that. thanks for all the help guys! QUAKE 3 @ 1600 x 1200 HERE WE COME!!

I think best way to go, maybe to get two Sony 21" moniters.
The price of both put together could buy you one 27".
I know that is what some professionals use for video and graphics editing. It give you lots of room.

I have a sony 19 inch and i think its great. 21inch monitors are kinda big to be lanning with and are more expensive. My sony 19 inch is perfect size for (to big if anything for lans) and as with all sony monitors a VERY crisp picture.

Did you get your monitor? If not, my son may have a monitor for you, you could get it for probably under 50. it is a used monitor so you could try and see if you really want a big monitor. He has them 21 inches and larger.

Lol, Umm... this thread is over 4 years old. If he hasn't got his monitor by now... I feel sorry for him.

lol is right, this was my first time visiting a site like this and I was too nieve to look at the date...will I ever learn??? How do you find the new sites???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back