Looking for new processor and mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.

C_Conqueror

Hi, its been over a year now and I think its time for me to upgrade again to keep up. Anyway I am trying to figure what is the best processor that I can get for under $200. Thanks

Well, if you are going to upgrade your motherboard as well, you should be looking at the core 2 duo cpus from intel. Is that budget for just the CPU? You have a separate budget for the motherboard as well?

For $200 on the CPU, the E6300 is a great one, or if you can squeeze a few extra bucks out, go for the E6400.

Thats just the cpu. Once I figure out the cpu then I know what kind of motherboard I should be looking at.

Keep in mind that you are also going to need some new ram (DDR2) as well as a new graphics card. The one you currently have is AGP, and the newer boards are all PCI-e x16. Also, your power supply is questionable. You are looking at a complete new system (I assume you already know this).

Your current ram is DDR ram, but the newer systems (both the core 2 duo, as well as AMD's AM2 platform) require DDR2 ram.

Your power supply is a good one, the question will be whether or not it has enough watts. A lot will depend on what graphics card you plan to get. The higher end graphics cards require a 400w power supply minimum.

You can calculate your wattage needs here: http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp but also check the minimum requirements published by the maker of the GPU you plan to purchase.

Ok so I guess I won't take chances, so I am going to get a new power supply too because I want to get a new graphics card since the I have now is agp and I don't want to buy another apg motherboard again with just a different cpu socket, and then in six months because I would have to uprade buy a new motherboard agian. I want a geforce 7900 gs, maybe if I can afford it a 7900 gt. I don't really know many ati cards, I have always been nvidia guy. So if you know have any recomendations on a power supply (under $60) or graphics card (around $200), that would be great. I know that that should be under a differnent topic buy just thought I would keep it all together. Thanks

I'd look into the Antec Sonata-II case + PSU. For $99 (sometimes less due to rebates) it's a slick case, good 120mm back case fan, plastic ducting that shrouds the CPU so it draws cool air directly rather than circulating hot air, and comes with an Antec 450W SmartPower. It's got a glossy black finish, cool neon blue front panel light (+2 usb, 1 firewire and audio jacks in the front).

Really, really nice case + PSU combo for the price. I've built four(4) systems this month with them- one Core 2 Duo, one Athlon64 3400+, and two Presler dual-core systems with them. All run cool, QUIET and nice.

I also like the Antec SonataII a lot, mainly for it's looks (very elegant, classy).

The PSUs in there are good. They are Antec's entry level PSU, and are not really Antec's best PSUs. They are much better than a no-name. Mine has actually failed on me, and I have replaced it with an Antec Neo HE 550W.

The air duct cooling that is mentioned above I also am using, but I have added a dust filter to it. The case has a dust filter on the front intake, but it doesn't have one on the air duct that blows air directly on your CPU (arguably the most important place to have a dust filter).

This is not the best case in the world for any heavy overclockers out there. The airflow is good, but not for extreme cooling needs. It comes stock with one 12cm fan on the back. It is designed for silence mainly, and not cooling. You can optionally add another 12cm fan to the front, and two smaller fans for the special air duct to blow air on the CPU and graphics card, but then you are going up in the decibles which kind of goes against the purpose of the case in the first place ;)

That said, I have an overclocked Athlon64 3700+ cpu at 2.75Ghz on stock cooling in this case (but I have added the second 12cm fan (very quiet one) and a smaller fan to blow air on the CPU (using the duct) and my temps are 40c at full load.

Other than that, I absolutely LOVE this case. I have a black monitor, black keyboard/mouse, black speakers all sitting on my desk with the cool blue lights on the case, monitor and speakers. Very nice looking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back