Lynx Rufus Attacks Santa Claus or? Maybe

captaincranky

in South Jersey (US), during this past Christmas, Santa Claus reported to the police that he in fact had been bitten several times by a woman's pet bobcat! The woman asserted, pretty much everyone's patent disbelief, that the animal in question was "a Pixie Bob", a designer breed of the common house cat. Big stink there was, and after the pictures hit the evening news, every Pixie Bob fancier came out of the woodwork, disgruntled and incredulous, claiming, "that's not a Pixie Bob" we can only hope to breed our cats to look like that. Since keeping a Bobcat is apparently illegal in New jersey, the woman was sticking to her story quite vigorously, and I could certainly see why. The cat was a beautiful specimen, still immature, but broken to walk with a shoulder harness leash. He certainly seemed to be a mellow little (relatively speaking) guy.

Now the editorial; WTF was this stupid bimbo thinking to take the poor cat to see Santa? Cats are fairly bright, but I think that if you believe they understand the meaning of Christmas, you're delusional, and you're likely to loose your pet because of it. The Pixie Bob crew, seemed to be ratting out of jealousy .Being stupid, seems to always get the worst of a legal issue when being petty is brought to bear.

I think Bobcat might get a kick out of this true story. Actually I think that there are a few cat fanciers around here that might enjoy this story. I put it in Meeting Spot because I'm pretty sure I missed the boat over in "News...[ ]..".

Is it redundancy to call a bimbo stupid as well?

That was indeed an entertaining piece of news, as any news dealing with cats is to a cat lover. :)

Here is my motto on cats:
A cat is clever, clean, cool, quiet, cute, cuddly. (bobcat)

Actually, my first choice for nick was the tamer “tomcat”, but that was taken, so I went to the next one on my logical list, which was “bobcat”. If I had thought of “pixiebob” at the time, I might have chosen that.

But enough about me and back to the story with some background facts, straight from the cat’s mouth.

Pixie-Bob is a large breed of domestic cat (Felis Catus or Felis Domesticus) that is not actually related to the Bob Cat, though it does have ear tufts, huge paws and a naturally short tail. If you ever fantasize about having a big, cute baby in your house, the Pixie-Bob would be for you!

Bobcat (Lynx Rufus) is a small wild cat originating from North America. It has a reddish brown or yellowish brown coat, streaked with black or dark brown, and prominent, well-pointed ears. It is much smaller than other wild felines, and can grow up to 12 inches. Taking care of a Bobcat is not as easy as that of a domestic cat.

A bimbo is dumb by definition, but cats are too smart to believe in Santa Claus.

Because a picture is worth 1000 words, here is a 2000 word worth depiction of the 2 species. If you can’t tell the difference between them, take them to a Santa Claus and see which one bites him. :)

Pixie-Bob
pixiebob.jpg

Bob-Cat
bobcat.jpg

Taxonomy and Car Doors.....Linked How?

The lady from Jersey's cat was definitely L.Rufus. A Pixie Bob, although a beautiful animal, still looks like a mac tabby alley cat, that somebody slammed a car door on the poor things tail!

I think you might want to reconsider the size theory, with respect to L.Rufus. It's more like on the order of midway between the house cat and the Canada Lynx. Although, I have an enormous, lard a**ed male Maine Coon, that's really blurring that line. (somewhere between 22 to 25 pounds). That's obviously not close to his ideal "fighting weight". Maine Coons tend to display the ear tufts also, as does "Bangor", at least when he doesn't have his head shoved in a paper bag.
Here's the "Wiki" page; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobcat Always thought provoking, Wiki. I suppose one does have to pick how much one does choose to believe.

The common domestic cat is accepted to be a sub species of the African wild cat, Felis Silvestris. So, if you've ever had the longing to know why the cartoon characters names were "Tweety and Sylvester", now you do. (Well, if you didn't before anyway).

Our Philadelphia Zoo has had a couple of Canada Lynx for many years, and I have to say, they're pretty close to my favorites. Actually, I pretty much only go to the zoo for the cat exhibits. So, having seen those lynx, and pictures of bobcats, I have no regrets in telling a curious lady at the zoo, "Ma'am, basically they're Canadian bobcats".

Oh BTW, if you're ever in Philly check out, "Big Cat Falls, at the Philadelphia zoo.

I know the person who owns that cat you speak of captaincranky. Seriously, I do. I can get a meeting for you with that cat if you'd like. :D

Well, I knew about Felix the Cat, but I have to confess my ignorance about Sylvester. As an excuse, I inform that I never watch that series, or Tom & Jerry for that matter, because I am on the side of the cat who always loses. While I may have some sympathy for a canary, if that’s what Tweety is, I firmly believe that William Hanna and Joseph Barbera, the creators of Tom & Jerry, have a highly distorted sense of values in cultivating among children a liking for vermin (mice), let alone all the violence and cruelty that goes on against an animal trying to render service to humanity. Children should not be allowed to watch cartoons.

It reminds me of Middle Age Europe, when the plague was wiping out millions. Ignorant people blamed the pandemic on cats and dogs, and were exterminating them. In fact, the disease was spread by mice and rats, so killing cats was about the last thing they should have done. They paid a heavy price for it. Total deaths were up to 50 M, a huge figure for the then much smaller populations.

As regards size, though there are many species, a Bobcat does seem substantially bigger than a domestic cat, which makes it even more strange that it was confused with a Pixie Bob, while Santa Claus might consider himself lucky just to be bitten and not eaten by it. According to the linked Wikipedia page, a Bobcat can even hunt deer, and it’s a small step from (rein)deer to Santa. :)

The Twelve Inch Bobcat.........

I know the person who owns that cat you speak of captaincranky. Seriously, I do. I can get a meeting for you with that cat if you'd like. :D
I'd worship the chance to meet that cat. I'm only driving my motorcycle for the time being, so if we could set it up in another few weeks when the weather breaks a bit more, I'm there, whenever you say. I hope the "bimbo" quote doesn't come back to mar, (or preclude), the experience. But seriously darlin', WTF were you thinkin' ???

I grew up in the age of Old Hollywood when the Ocelot, was the pet of choice for a starlet making the statement, "I've arrived". Ever since then I've always had it in the back of my head that I'd really like to have one of the more exotic felines as a partner in crime. Endangered species legislation and PETA have pretty much put the kabosh on that avenue of self expression, (at least in public), not to mention don't get caught wearing the mink while walking the cat. A double whammy. Perhaps this is the reason that Britney goes out wearing only diamonds with no panties..

While I may have some sympathy for a canary, if that’s what Tweety is....[ ]...
Dude,this is me you're talking to, and the only thing more annoying than a ******* canary is wind chimes. The bird is lunch, nothing more, period.
Actually, my first choice for nick was the tamer “tomcat”, but that was taken, so I went to the next one on my logical list, which was “bobcat”. If I had thought of “pixiebob” at the time, I might have chosen that.
In much the same way, I at one time considered "commandercranky", but discarded that, since "The Villiage People" have caused a fair amount of innuendo to attach to service in the naval branch of the military.
.....[ ]..... It is much smaller than other wild felines, and can grow up to 12 inches.
Wow, if this was a mixed metaphor, good one!

a Bobcat can even hunt deer, and it’s a small step from (rein)deer to Santa. :)
Meh, maybe, maybe not. On one hand, I'm sure the bobcat would be full, pretty much after Rudolph. Plus, on the other hand, the average Santa impersonator, would generally cause the "you gotta buy two seats, if you want to be on this flight, "Claus", to be invoked. Blitzen's a** would probably fit in one seat, even in coach. Fitness wise, it's much healthier to pull the sleigh than to ride in the back drinking gin.

I'd worship the chance to meet that cat.
The friendship of a cat is actually worth more than that of a dog, because it’s not taken for granted, you have to earn it. (bobcat)

I grew up in the age of Old Hollywood when the Ocelot, was the pet of choice. Ever since then I've always had it in the back of my head that I'd really like to have one of the more exotic felines as a partner.
God has created the cat to give man the pleasure of caressing the tiger. (Theophile Gautier)

Dude, this is me you're talking to, and the only thing more annoying than a ******* canary is wind chimes. The bird is lunch, nothing more, period.
Now, it seems to me that you are already thinking and feeling like a cat. :)

If'n ya ain't furst, yer LAST!

I think ALL new automobile drivers should be required to drive with bobcats their first two years on the road.

And then they have to drive a semi tractor-trailer for another six months.

Then everybody must drive vehicles proportionate to their own height and weight. I'm sick of seeing 98-pound soccer moms in Suburbans and Expeditions!

^^ WOW... that last line cracks me up because last week I seen a girl who couldn't be more than 100lbs driving a HUMMER!

Seriously... what is the point of even owning a Hummer when you're just driving it around the city?

The Mouse That Roared.........!

Then everybody must drive vehicles proportionate to their own height and weight. I'm sick of seeing 98-pound soccer moms in Suburbans and Expeditions!

A friend of mine, Rick, (5'4" or so), played the bass. He said it was it was his "alter ego", that he was a little guy, but the bass made him "roar".

Not an opinion on my part, just something for you to think about.

Those prepossessed by size should consider that nature itself does not always have a sense of proportion. A tall oak tree produces small acorns, whereas huge watermelons grow on a plant that hardly rises above the ground.

But let’s get back to our species.

A rich father was once told that his daughter was too short to attract a good husband.

He replied, “But she can stand on $1000 bills and become extra tall”.

So, I suppose, small people with money can feel and be treated as big. At any rate, they can buy a big and expensive car, where a big gorilla may only afford a small one.

Size does matter, but the real question is, “Size of what?” And if this statement, by having more than one senses, turns the discussion in another direction, well, it’s lost its original one anyway.

Alter ego's should not be driving the car! LOL

That's exactly how bad things happen.

And who hasn't been stopped dead in their tracks at a Wal-Mart parking lot by a teeny-tiny woman unable to fit her Escalade in a spot?

My post was about skills, sorry if it was unclear.

If you've ever driven a tractor-trailer, you KNOW how horrible 70% of the drivers on the road really are.

I think exposure to such vehicles WITH instruction, would make any driver BETTER. A bad driver into OK, a good driver into VERY good, etc.

I hope I'm not coming across as argumentative, I was just in a myspace forum with *****S!

My post was about skills, sorry if it was unclear.
Being unclear would be a distinct possibility, since to some people body height and weight might not seem direct measures of skill.

However, no problem, this thread has already lost its clear topic, as many others inevitably do as part of the game here, while clarity is not a prime concern in this whole Section of casual talk.

Now, whoever does not find the above unclear, is clearly not thinking clearly. :)

And Then She Pulled a Blazer on Me.........

The issue of small people driving large vehicles, is not dependent on skill, but rather instinct. I'm the same size or bigger than the other animals in the traffic jam, based on what I'm driving.

There exists an archaic slang term for a pistol, "equalizer", (pronounced, "ee-ka-lye-zer"). So, that's basically what the Hummer is about, (or Expedition, or Escalade, or Yukon Denali), nothing more than a tacit threat.

I once had a woman tell me, (after I told her that I drove a Blazer), that she liked those because, "you look down at the other people". I was too stunned, and in an odd sort of way, too embarassed to tell her, that I owned it because you can put a whole bunch of s*** in the back.

Well, actually there is a logic behind small and weak people not buying a big car, and that is because they can’t push it if the need arises. And we all know that if we can’t satisfy the need, that need will inevitably arise. Just like it always rains when we don’t carry an umbrella.

But as things stand in our affluent society, a car is a status symbol. Thus, people who lack stature seek status. You can state, status in an estate (car) stands instead of stature.

I once had a woman tell me, (after I told her that I drove a Blazer), that she liked those because, "you look down at the other people”.

This mentality has to do with what the English call “keeping up with the Joneses”. Because you can’t keep up with the Joneses when they are driving a taller car and are looking down on you.

But as to the driver's size.....

I see little people in huge SUV's all the time. How can they truly drive with "skill" when they can't see over the back seats? They don't, it's all guesswork. Scary scary guesswork.

I got my truck so I could put crap in it. And the A/C can really CRANK in it's small cab.
How well your A/C works down here in Florida is MUCHO important!

But as to the driver's size.....

I see little people in huge SUV's all the time. How can they truly drive with "skill" when they can't see over the back seats? They don't, it's all guesswork. Scary scary guesswork.
Not so easily scared myself. There are such things as cushions, height-adjusted seats and rear-view mirrors, not to mention side mirrors enabling view to the back even for closed vans, trucks and buses. Large cars, and not only, nowadays are further equipped with special electronic gadgets for reversing.

Which devices may not even be required in the first place, because there are larger cars which do not necessarily require proportionate driver size. One would expect a luxury car maker not to be so silly as to severely restrict the spectrum of buyers, considering that small people need to boost their ego.

The real problem where I live is age, not size. Old people continue to drive, somehow managing to get past the legal requirement for regular retesting.

But even worse, actually much worse, are youngsters with a license whose ink has not yet dried, and who are convinced that the best choice for a first vehicle is a racing car, or as near to it as they can afford, which furthermore should be driven to its full top speed potential at every opportunity, existent or not, mostly not.

As regards skills, a fairly small (bob)cat has abilities, such as climbing on trees, sense of balance, turning in the air to land on his feet, even seeing in the dark, which a larger dog does not possess. Plus, he can find his way back from a long distance, and would not get lost as a driver.

Now, what does a bobcat have to do with driving a car? Well, the thread is after all about bobcats.

The Tuna Boat Just Docked...........

Well it could be, "The Fishing Cat", Prionailurus Vivverinus

Seriously though folks, that's only one cat. The photo is stripped together and the cat image has been flipped and added in a second time. It's species is, (99% sure) Felis Silvestris Catus This particular individual seems to have extraordinarily good taste in lingerie, and as it would seem, women as well.

I wonder if she's what the cat in our story asked Santa for? This might explain the biting behaviour.

I love this thread…

lovethisthreadsj7lj9.jpg

…because it’s a cat thread!

catdancingcatthread.gif

Therefore, it’s a serious thread.

seriouscat.jpg

Back