Magic: Legends' first gameplay trailer shows a potential Diablo 3 killer

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
Something to look forward to: Developer Cryptic Studios and publisher Perfect World dropped a new gameplay trailer (via Game Informer) on Wednesday for its upcoming Magic: Legends. The devs describes it as an MMO action RPG, but it looks more like a four-player co-op Diablo 3 clone, and there is nothing wrong with that.

As the name suggests, it is Perfect World’s adaptation of the collector card game Magic: The Gathering that puts players in the shoes of a Planeswalker. If you like playing Diablo 3 as a magic wielder, Magic: Legends should be right up your alley.

The game offers five classes of magic users, but the official website only highlights two at the moment — the Mind Mage and the Geomancer. The former uses psychic-like powers such as telekinesis to attack from range, while the latter can get up close and personal using powerful earth and fire AoE spells to vanquish foes.

The studio also only has two worlds from the Magic multiverse to announce for now. Shiv is a volcanic island on the plane of Dominaria where players will face Ghitu tribes, goblins, ogres, and dragons. Benalia, also on the plane of Dominaria, pits you against the demons of the Cabal.

The game is currently still in the alpha phase, but Ctyptic says they plan to launch on consoles and PC sometime this year. A beta version is coming soon, which you can sign up for through Arc Games.

What is most attractive to me is it appears Cryptic Studios is going more with the action-RPG aspect rather than the MMO with the option to go it alone. Perfect for a lone wolf like me.

Permalink to story.

Diablo 3? Diablo 3 is already on the way out. They will need a potential Diablo 4 killer.

Agreed, although I have won over my want of buying D3. I skipped it entirely, so this is fine with me. Perfect World may get my money if:

1. no micro transactions or loot box gambling
2. single player mode where I can play it without an internet connection. I want to own my game as they should be.

Agreed, although I have won over my want of buying D3. I skipped it entirely, so this is fine with me. Perfect World may get my money if:

1. no micro transactions or loot box gambling
2. single player mode where I can play it without an internet connection. I want to own my game as they should be.

I agree completely with both points. Micro transactions or loot boxes need to go away. single player mode would be nice. The always online aspect of Diablo 3 really upset a lot of people, rightfully so.

I've enjoyed plenty of both Diablo 3 and Magic: The Gathering. What I don't get is how there is any overlap. These are two completely different game types.

I guess you could make an ARPG set in the MTG world and renaming ARPG abilities after a vaguely similar Magic card. That feels more like a gimmick than something to get excited about to me though.

The cartoony graphics takes away any real darkness and foreboding. Looks more in the Torchlight style. Still, look ok, hopefully worth playing.

I agree completely with both points. Micro transactions or loot boxes need to go away. single player mode would be nice. The always online aspect of Diablo 3 really upset a lot of people, rightfully so.
Many companies these days need micro transactions to cover the cost of continued support and development. Why do you think games can stay around the same $60 or less purchase price since the 90's? With inflation I'm surprised we're not paying $100 per game by now.

Many companies these days need micro transactions to cover the cost of continued support and development. Why do you think games can stay around the same $60 or less purchase price since the 90's? With inflation I'm surprised we're not paying $100 per game by now.
Sorry but thats a cheap copout. See any microtransactions or loot boxes in witcher 3? its well designed it has repeat playability and hell its more popular now than when it was released. I refuse to play any game with microtransactions. loot boxes. and always online connection needed if its not a online game.

Well considering that companies now sell more "copies" of the games than in the 90's and now 90% of purchases are digital this excuse is really not valid, they all make billions every years and you believe they need those loot boxes to afford support for the game? What is your IQ level because it can not be very high.....

Diablo 3? Diablo 3 is already on the way out. They will need a potential Diablo 4 killer.
Yeah, but see there is no D4 yet, so it can't be a D4 killer. I t has to be a D3 killer by default, then Diablo 4 can be a Magic: Legends killer. ;)

BTW I still play D3 (played the day before yesterday in fact). I usually play solo, but sometimes I like to team up, as I did the other day. I didn't have a problem finding people to play with so it's still in, but I agree, once D4 releases it's probably going to pretty much be "Bye-bye Diablo 3. Nice knowing you."

1) D3 has been dead for a long while
2) It was killed by lack of support and POE
3) While POE has micro transactions they are done extremely correctly and outside of initial 50-60$ for stash tabs anything esle is purely cosmetics, so it is pretty much free to try buy to play model. And cosmetics allow the game to be constantly supported unlike other buy to play games.

Ok this Not a gameplay trailer broskie unless I missed something. There is a cinematic trailer.
Calling this a Diablo 3 Killer in the title no less as well. Someone needs to get their head clear. Click bait as hell in less nice words.

Peace

My earlier comment was deleted earlier for trolling because I said Path of Exile was the one to beat, not D3. Pretty immature.

Last edited:
Ok this Not a gameplay trailer broskie unless I missed something. There is a cinematic trailer.
Calling this a Diablo 3 Killer in the title no less as well. Someone needs to get their head clear. Click bait as hell in less nice words.

Peace
Not sure what you are talking about the Gameplay trailer is the lead at the top the cinematic is at the bottom. :)

Pretty sure Diablo III was killed by Path of Exile.

And Perfect World is a publisher; the studio doing development is Cryptic Studios.
Thanks for that. I'll make corrections. :)

And lighten up people. It's just a comparison to a widely popular game. One that I have played. I have not even played POE, but now that everyone is all upset about it I guess I better try it out. Still trying to catch up with other titles I picked up on Christmas sales (Warhammer: Chaosbane, Days Gone, and Jedi: Fallen Order).

Chaosbane = Meh, but okay
Days Gone = I really like but I'm a sucker for zombie games.
Jedi = I really like but stopped playing after the game kept crashing. I'll give it another go after the next patch.

First of all Diablo 3 is already dead Diablo 4 looks incredible so good luck with that. Second the amount of times I've heard games journalist say that something was the killer of one of Blizzard's games and it just didn't pan out that way are to innumerable to count.

Thanks for that. I'll make corrections. :)

And lighten up people. It's just a comparison to a widely popular game. One that I have played. I have not even played POE, but now that everyone is all upset about it I guess I better try it out. Still trying to catch up with other titles I picked up on Christmas sales (Warhammer: Chaosbane, Days Gone, and Jedi: Fallen Order).

Chaosbane = Meh, but okay
Days Gone = I really like but I'm a sucker for zombie games.
Jedi = I really like but stopped playing after the game kept crashing. I'll give it another go after the next patch.

PoE is incredible. It does have a slight learning curve though so be patient with it at first :)

Just like Neverwinter was a wow killer? I understand businesses need to make money but the combination of perfect world and cryptic will only attempt to suck money out of the player base.

Anyone remember the cost of bags in Neverwinter? Mounts? VIP sub? I for one will only avoid this game.

I disagree. There are plenty of games out there that do not require loot boxes to survive. I am not totally against micro transactions as long as they are cosmetic. I refuse to support any game that has a "pay to win" aspect to it. If the game was a free download to start, then I am cool with paying for some limited things, as Path of Exile did with storage space. If I have to purchase the game to start, then I am not going to pay even more to be competitive. Most companies can pay for ongoing support with regular expansions that you can purchase. There are several ways to monetize a game.

Just like Neverwinter was a wow killer? I understand businesses need to make money but the combination of perfect world and cryptic will only attempt to suck money out of the player base.

Anyone remember the cost of bags in Neverwinter? Mounts? VIP sub? I for one will only avoid this game.

Yeah, I am afraid of that too. Perfect World seems to always do micro transactions. It would be OK if they kept the cost reasonable, but they do not.

Well considering that companies now sell more "copies" of the games than in the 90's and now 90% of purchases are digital this excuse is really not valid, they all make billions every years and you believe they need those loot boxes to afford support for the game? What is your IQ level because it can not be very high.....

Actually he is sort of right. It costs companys to update games, also don't forget that EVERYONE gets paid, and it's not done merely minimum wage these people work for. They make some serious cash. Let's say for example a game cost 100,000 to create from start to finish, after paying employees and graphics artists, it usually takes around 20% of the game budget (100k) to update each year (or however often they were to update it) 20% would be $20,000 to update the game. They might make a lot in sales, but no one knows exactly how much the game costs and usually people don't realize the costs of paying employees, and other fees. Plus they only make money when someone buys the game new. If you see it at a game shop or anywhere used and buy it, it doesnt go to the company.

PoE is incredible. It does have a slight learning curve though so be patient with it at first :)

I'll never understand this sentiment but I hate POE.trade, the painfully single player focused story mode that you have to grind through repeatedly and absolutely abysmal movement mechanics. I've installed and played the game 5 times in the last 5 years and quit by level 60 every time because I hate the campaign more than cancer. I don't know why they even bother with a story in games like this.

Back