Maingear Shift Gaming PC with Super Stock Options Review

Julio Franco

Staff member
Here's the scenario: You're bored one night surfing the Internet and you decide to do a mock build of your dream PC. Whether through your favorite e-tailer or a boutique system builder, you find yourself piecing together the ultimate powerhouse. Price is not a concern -- you want the baddest system your (imaginary) money can buy.

Read the full review at:
https://www.techspot.com/review/331-maingear-shift-superstock/

Please leave your feedback here.

Dear god! It runs Crysis..IT REALLY REALLY RUNS CRYSIS...faints dead on the spot.

I have to say that the lack of the extra 6gb of RAM on the dream machine was a bit of a let down. Also, I wonder what this would look like with 3 GTX 580s running in it..can you say Crysis at 100+FPS stable XD.

You could probably loan the down time of the processors and the GPUs to every single process sharing organization on the net, and still have room to run Crysis at a stable 60-70FPS...Okay I am now done with the Crysis jokes.

So...does it play WoW very well?

So, this is the first system that runs Crysis over 70 FPS...? This is a great computer, but hats off to Crysis, it's been like 2 years since it came out and just recent computers handle it well.
What I really loved about the Shift, it's the 90 degrees tweak, it's one of the most brilliant ideas I've seen around since I signed up to TS. And of course, impressive detailed review.

This thing is a beast. For the price you'd really hope the custom paint job was spotless, but it's just going to sit under your desk, so I don't even know why you'd drop that much for a paint job. I can only imagine what your power bill would be like after a month of gaming on this thing. You'd have to warn the electric company when you were firing it up so they could shut off half your grid to sustain power.

taea00 said:
This thing is a beast. For the price you'd really hope the custom paint job was spotless, but it's just going to sit under your desk, so I don't even know why you'd drop that much for a paint job. I can only imagine what your power bill would be like after a month of gaming on this thing. You'd have to warn the electric company when you were firing it up so they could shut off half your grid to sustain power.
I lold, but it's true. This rig is pretty power hungry and can run any game smooth at some 2560x1600, except metro 2033 that is.

shortie said:
Me thinks that this should be a give away by you guys :D

Yes indeed! lol

For some reason I feel 6 gb's of ram is not enough. I mean sure it's enough to pretty much run anything but if I'm shelling out 7,000+ for a desktop I would expect more than 6 gb's of ram...

Just what I was thinking, shortie. :) Comment stealer. ;)

grvalderrama, Crysis is already 3 years old (well, in a few days).

Man! Cryisis at over 70fps! Insane! one of the first computer setups you can truely answer the question

"Can it run Crysis?"

"Yes It Bloody Well Can"

Than again, for £7000 I would also expect it to, for that money you can buy a fairly decent second hand car!

Very nice system... Of course the cost to overall performance ratio is pretty high. I know there are a few out there that are made of money that might buy a system like this. For me though, half the fun is building it yourself. ;)

I agree with Demons. I would prefer to build it myself, it would just give me that much more satisfaction. The system is nice, and I love the case. I'm usually not a fan of windows in cases, and the reason for that being is that they're too big and expose the ugly drive mounts. The window in this case, however, is nice and small and only shows off the good parts of the interior. As far as everyone commenting on the RAM, yes, it's a $7000 PC, but as far as RAM goes, you only need so much. Even with 6Gb, you should still be able to flawlessly switch between Crysis, your Internet Browser, a Media Player and that video conversion software you have running in the background, whilst still having about a gig of free RAM left. Getting more is just plain silly, the money is better spend upgrading your CPU or getting a better video card.

Needless to say, this Maingear system isn't for everyone, but going back to our idea of a dream PC build, the Shift comes as close as you can actually get today.

I think not. This PC is quite expensive, but it is nowhere near the most expensive or most powerful pcs. Many upper echelon pc makers now sell pcs that use the EVGA SR2 motherboard and have 2 Hexa Core Xenons, 4 GTX 480 Cards, and 32 gb of ram.

Example: The Origin Big O
http://www.originpc.com/thebigo-config.asp

LOL, that system looks like my high school lockers. An off the shelf mountain mods case and an XBOX 360 that doesn't even interface with the TV? That's ridiculous.

Well, if you have more money than you know what to do with it this is a fine example of modern hardware sweetness. It's really no different than a Porsche or Ferrari, most people can't afford it but plenty of people would love to own it.

I'd love to see some price depreciation graphs for the top models. How many years does it take for a $30,000 system to drop 10-fold in price? my guess is two. Granted the various uber-expensive cooling methods may have a longer half-life than the GPUs, for example.

"LOL, that system looks like my high school lockers. An off the shelf mountain mods case and an XBOX 360 that doesn't even interface with the TV? That's ridiculous."

What I meant to say was - an XBOX 360 that doesn't interface at all with the PC - who the heck would put that Big Zero in their living room?

Wow, just Wow! What an awesome machine that is. Very good read as well. If only I had endless amounts of cash! (Back to dream world I go!)

Back