Making a million dollar computer

TeCH_HuNGeRY

I am doing a project where i must spend several million dollars [25 million plus] on a computer...the project includes pricing, compatability, features and benifits of the system, etc . I can be a wasteful as i like because obviously...I have the money! Browsing various sites I can easily spend a few 1000, but several million?? :rolleyes: I have decided I am not gonna read into the question...just try and make the damn thing...any help at all will be greatly appreciated and anticipated...thanx
:grinthumb

Get a cluster from IBM running several OSes simultaneouslly ( can't beat that for compatibility ;) ).

buy a top of the line 8-way opeteron system with all the bells and whistles, then keep the change. really, how did u get ur boss to get you $25mil for a comp.

Originally posted by Didou
Get a cluster from IBM running several OSes simultaneouslly ( can't beat that for compatibility ;) ).

Nice idea, but in order to spend $25 Mil. he's gonna need a huge cluster, and have quite a big temperature controlled enviroment to hold them.

Am I the only one thats thinking reasonably here? It appears so.
No way does he have $25 mil to spend, its a theoretical project, I am amazed you guys completely missed that.

Eh, there are just so many things that point to it being a theoretical project its not even worth really stating. But him saying he could see building one for a thousand or so, but not millions, holy crap guys, how did you not at least think this was purely theoretical.

Maybe I've just had too much to drink before making these comments, but I just don't understand how the responses in this thread even happened.

Take a look at what Virginia Tech did with only $5+ million. That Mac cluster consisting of 1100 Dual G5s with 4-8 Gig of RAM each is ranked as the #3 fastest computer in the world. You could now do that with Dual G5 Xserves - would cost a little more but save quite a bit of space. You may want to take a look at the applications they are using it for as well. Shouldn't be hard to find lots of useful info on it. How about starting here:
http://computing.vt.edu/research_computing/terascale/

Originally posted by TeCH_HuNGeRY
I am doing a project where i must spend several million dollars

I knew it was a theorical project when I offered an IBM cluster ( my idea still stands BTW ). A sun machine wouldn't be bad either but I do not think they make clusters out of the bux. You can always get a bunch of SUN machines & hook them up yourself.;)

!

Does it have to be 1 computer? Because if not, you should make the biggest LAN in the world, of the best computers :) Say $5,000 for each PC..

25,000,000 divided by 5,000 = 5,000 :D

You'd have 5,000 wild PCs! [not servers]

Or, you could make a 10,000 computer LAN, with top of the line computers, running at 2.5K each. 2.5K would build a pretty wicked rig to begin with so..

You could always have a Platinum case, with a titanium inner frame. Have a company design and make a one off mainboard whith the best of everything (I mean ground breaking stuff.)

Get M$ to write you a personal OS, or maybe a few....

LOL you guys are hilarious....I finished it up the other night...thanks for the help and suggestions...
BTW of course it was a theoretical question...if it was not and I really won the money [albiet I would still buy a awsome machine] I'd be pretty busy with my new haram of wives, beachfront property and hunting down the damn accountant....

I don't know if I could spend 25M realistically on a computer, but i would sure love to try...maybe if I included the house to go around it and all the peripherals and spare components...

Back