Many BSOD's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darky0399

Hi everyone,

So i get these recurring BSOD's especially when I play a game or watch a film.

My computer is brand new (December 2009. Christmas, actually ^^), and I built it myself. So it can't be dust or overheating (i left it open just to be sure).

I ran memtest86+ and it didn't find any errors. I also ran avast before booting up the computer and Active Scan 2.0 and got no viruses.

The computer freezes for 30 secs or so before actually getting the BSOD, and when it finally gets to it, it never dumps the physical memory.. So i can't join any minidump here :(

The weird thing is that after restarting the computer, Asus Express Gate doesn't load, and the computer stops at the motherboard screen (i'm using Asus M4N78 pro motherboard). And when i try entering the bios, i get the post-message but it never enters it.

The only way to start the computer is to shut it down and wait a couple of seconds before starting it again, then it works fine..

BSOD says this:

KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR

blah tip blah

*** STOP: 0x0000007A (0xE1A706B8, 0xC0000185, 0xBF8CECBD, 0x12EE7860)

*** win2k.sys - Adress BF8CECBD base at BF800000, DateStamp 4a8564c7

Edit: Found this, but i don't know what it means :

(Parameter 2)
0xC0000185, or STATUS_IO_DEVICE_ERROR, indicates improper termination or defective cabling on SCSI devices or that two devices are trying to use the same IRQ.

I also got a variety of other BSOD's with other messages but i never thought about copying them down. I will though with the next ones if necessary.

Please help me :)

Edit: I'm using Win XP SP3

Edit2: got a new BSOD where it dumped the physical memory, but i can't find it in %SystemRoot%\Minidump

A process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated.

*** STOP: 0x000000F4 (0x00000003, 0x861EFDA0, 0x861EFF14, 0x805D297E)

How many passes did you allow Memtest to run? Post your minidumps.

How to find your Minidump Files:

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files.

It is these files that we need (not the folder). Attach to your next post the five most recent dumps. Notice the Manage Attachments button at the bottom when you go to post the next time. You can Zip up to five files per Zip. Please do us a favor and don’t Zip each one individually.

hey, first of all. is your pc fully updated. especially the bios/firmware. because without that then the pc can mess up alot. so type you pc name and then drivers after the name into google. find bios/firmware updates and install. reboot. if problem persists then, inside of the pc is small round battery on the motherboard. looks like i smooth quarter. take this out(while pc is off) and keep out for about 30 seconds. then put back in and restart pc. what this does is it clears bios changes for if you are not able to get into the bios while on pc.
hope this helps :)
good luck...

I let it run 6 passes and there were no errors.

What I meant is that when I try to access the %SystemRoot%\Minidump folder, it says:

"Cannot find 'file:///C:/WINDOWS/Minidump'. Make sure the path or internet address is correct."

When I go in the windows folder, I can't find any Minidump folder (so I can't find the files that should be in it either), and when I type the address I get that previous error.

And I checked in the control panel and this is where they should be.

My pc is fully updated. And I cannot access the bios only after the bsod. If I shut down the computer and wait a couple of seconds before restarting I can go in it. It just doesn't work if I use the reset switch.

Edit: I got a new BSOD and awkwardly it saved the minidump this time...

Attachments

• Mini011910-01.dmp
    92 KB · Views: 4
Your error code is 0xD1 and these are usually caused by drivers but faulty or mismatched memory can also be a cause. In this dump it simply cited hardware as the cause which is too general to be of much help.

Have you checked the cable connections to your harddrive and CD/DVD drives as well as motherboard.

Well, this error code is 0xD1... the others i had were 0xF4 and 0x7A. (I know they can also be hardware issues).

I removed one of the two memory sticks (too lazy to put it back after memtest), and until now no bsod...

I did check the cable connections and they are all fine. I remember now i had difficulty in installing the HDD as it wouldn't be recognized by the motherboard at first.

As for the drivers i re-checked today and they are all up to date. I'll stay with one memory stick today, and if i don't have a bsod i'll try adding the second one. Maybe they effectively don't match (although they are the same size, same maker, etc..)

1. Check the RAM configuration for your motherboard.

2. Check the voltage of your RAM as set in the BIOS and compare it to your memory manufacture's voltage specs.

3. As good as memtest is, bad RAM has been known to pass on occasion.

The RAM voltage is 1.8V, which is the lowest setting possible. I didn't find, however, what is the optimal voltage for my memory sticks (I guess it is the standard 1.8V though).

And although I only had only one memory stick in, I got another BSOD. And once again the minidump wasn't saved on the hard disk (which makes me think about some HDD related issues).. It was an 0x7A stop error.

Edit: I just noticed that my RAM should run at 533MHz, but the minimum supported by my motherboard is 633MHz. Could that be the problem ?

Originally I could use the link to your exact motherboard but I was unable to download the file for recommended memory for your motherboard and then I was kicked back to my desktop. When I went back this evening to see if I could access the information again the link simply brought me to an Asus main page. Please try to link to your motherboard again.

I was able access the other link. if you are able see if your Corsair PC2-400 DDR2 VS512M533D2 is one of those recommended for this mother.

If your particular memory didn't make the recommended list then I would say that very well may be the issue. As I said earlier Asus is picky.

Ok thanks for the help.

I'll receive two new 2GB memory sticks that are in the recommended list. Hopefully it'll work then.

Ok thanks for the help.

I'll receive two new 2GB memory sticks that are in the recommended list. Hopefully it'll work then.

Please keep us informed. Hope all goes well. Is this new kit found on the recommended vendor list from Asus? (perhaps a stupid question!)

Well, i did say they were on the recommended list. So yes they are ;)

I should have them for the the first of February, I'll tell you what at that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back