Mars One CEO defends 'scam' claims, delays manned mission until 2027

Shawn Knight

Staff member

The Mars One organization officially ran afoul earlier this week. In a Medium story on the matter, Mars One finalist Dr. Joseph Roche presented multiple reasons as to why he believed the entire operation is a complete scam.

The organization has since published a video interview with CEO Bas Lansdorp in which he refutes much of what was written in the Medium piece. For starters, he says the idea that candidates were selected based on how much money they donated to the organization is simply untrue. The executive added that there are many third round candidates that have not donated any money to the initiative as well as plenty that did donate but didn’t make it past the second round.

mars ceo hoax fraud scam mars one mars one organization red planet bas lansdorp dr. joseph roche

Lansdorp also addressed the issue of applications. If you recall, Roche claimed there were in fact just 2,761 total applications for the one-way trip – not 200,000 that we were led to believe. Lansdrop said Elmo Keep (the journalist that wrote the Medium story) was the first journalist ever to be offered a list of all of the applications but she wasn’t interested in it.

The executive further defended the organization’s selection process, candidates’ individual activities (including revenue sharing) and the production company that was to create the reality television show to fund much of the mission.

mars ceo hoax fraud scam mars one mars one organization red planet bas lansdorp dr. joseph roche

At this point, it seems to be one person’s story versus another. The question now looms, who do you believe is telling the truth? Is Mars One legit or a scam?

Permalink to story.

"At this point, it seems to be one person’s story versus another. The question now looms, who do you believe is telling the truth? Is Mars One legit or a scam?"

I lean towards scam territory, until proven otherwise. The video they put out several months ago was more conducive to skepticism than confidence. The scientist who allegedly blew the whistle only added to that.

The manned mission to Mars has been pushed back to 2027? Hell, why not push it back to 2122?? Better yet, you can push it back to 2761 in honor of the 2,761 suckers that parted with their money for a foolish venture.

Remember the 1978 movie Capricorn One? Choosing Mars One as the name of the mission was stupid considering the similarity to the title of a movie about faking the first mission to Mars.

Remember the 1978 movie Capricorn One? Choosing Mars One as the name of the mission was stupid considering the similarity to the title of a movie about faking the first mission to Mars.
I thought "Capricorn One", was about suggesting the US lunar landings were faked.

Not sure though, the movie sucked and I was stoned quite a bit in those days...:D

Wow, I just checked, and it was about a faked Mars mission..:confused: ROFLMAO (at myself)

But when you think about it, calling their project, "Mars One", could simply be just a really blatant, in your face announcement that it indeed is a scam.

I guess pushing the date back is all about covering up the fraud, and giving themselves another decade or so to collect money under false pretenses, without incurring intervention by law enforcement.

But really, what did you think the organization would say to these charges, "Yeah, it's a scam, m***** f*****, so what"?:p

Last edited:
Why the federal government doesn't investigate this guy and see if this is a scam?, just in the name of common sense.

A very good question, but the devil might be in the details depending upon how he has registered this organization. The more cleaver ones will set themselves up as an "educational" body so they can claim that all the proceeds are actually going toward educating the public while they pay themselves huge salaries, etc. Just look at Scientology and how long it's been getting away with their "little" scam ......

If you don't think this is a scam and that a group of *****s are actually going to fly to Mars only to die, you are a fool and you need to give your money to me instead of this 'project'. (I see the fools now have more additional time to hand over their money. Gee, what's your first clue this isn't a scam?)

Maybe the alleged whistle blower was a hoax as well. He probably doesnt exist at all..

Why colonize a place that does not support life? Personally, I can't see the value of knowing if anything lived on Mars Thousands of years ago, it ain't living there now. There is just something wrong with this whole Mars One concept. On top of everything else our friends at Mars One never once mentioned the possibility of launch window in the year 2026. Now to push everything back to 2027 and missing the all important launch window, is rather arbitrary. I'm skeptical.

The whole Mars mission is indeed a scam operation. This is not unlike the every day cons perpetrated by the elite banking system. The moon landing was a billion dollar hoax. The Mars Mission years back never even took place. Just a CGI video. They continue to use their social experiments on the public. Getting reactions and compiling this information for future agendas. Namely global dominance.

THAT IS THE TRUTH. Don't believe a damn word you here from the media. Even Young Turks is actually mainstream trolls spreading false news to contribute to the CIA projects. PROVEN.

A very good question, but the devil might be in the details depending upon how he has registered this organization. The more cleaver ones will set themselves up as an "educational" body so they can claim that all the proceeds are actually going toward educating the public while they pay themselves huge salaries, etc. Just look at Scientology and how long it's been getting away with their "little" scam ......

My friend. The door is nailed wide open for business minded scum to leech the pockets of the people. And get away with it. They are running the biggest scam in history on us right now with USA Russia and China. All three are in bed together. Even though the news shows different.

Back