Maxtor HDD via USB

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi - my pc died a few months ago but the HDD survived; I wanted to get some data and my contacts off it so I bought a nice Navigator box fitted it up connected it to the new pc, switched on and ..... nothing
All the lights are on so it is working; with help from friends and family I have tried all the tricks suggested with no success. The new PC (not Vista the last one) just doesnt accept it exists. Sometimes it says there was a problem installing new hardware. I've been all round Device Manager, Disk Management etc. It doesnt feature usually in the USB list. It did once with a yellow asterisk but when I followed that up it told me for what its worth that the device driver is up to date.
I downloaded a Maxtor software programme (driver?) but this also says it wont work without a Maxtor device attached so it also doesnt 'see' it.

I had a similar problem with my last pc. I bought a Nokia phone which supposedly could download from the web. Ha Ha . Connected it with the lead to USB and ..yes .. nowt again.

Grateful for any ideas at all

You might have spyware on your computer that is blocking it from detecting new USB devices. I've seen this many times.

I recommend the following 3 anti-spyware utilities (you can find them in the Download section of this web site):

• AVG 8.0
  • Ad-Aware 2008
  • Spybot Search & Destroy

Repost with results.

Best,
-- Andy

Maxtor ext HDD problem

Well that's an interesting point which no one else has made. I did have a big prob with some malware but got it professionally cleaned off and have had no prob of that kind since. I do have Spybot and Avast loaded on the pc. Avast seems to run constantly and update itself. I'm just running a Sypbot check. Do you think there could be a residual problem arising from the past?
Thanks for your response!
Chris Allen

Chris,

No, this is not a residual problem as that "professional" service likely re-installed your Windows. That's what most computer stores do, especially the franchises. It's because it's guaranteed to work. When you re-install Windows, you erase the old registry and start with a new one. Any spyware that was on your computer is no longer there.

I avoid the re-installation of Windows as it's a burden to the customer. it forced them to re-install all their programs puls setup their comptuer from scratch. I try to save that installation if possible and save the customer the big hassle a Windows re-installation causes.

You should be aware you need to use 3 anti-spyware utilities to stay on top of spyware. The 3 I listed above are the ones I use and recommend.

Repost once you've finished running all of them and proceed from there if necessary.

Best,
-- Andy

Hi my pc seems 'clean' tho' I confess i've only run two of the three utilities you mention. However still no reaction to switching on the external HDD

Thanks for your interest!

Chris

At this point, I'd do a Windows repair. I've seen work in these situations many times. There is probably a guide somewhere at this site with the steps for performing this for the particular Windows version you have.

Repost if you need additional help.

Best,
-- Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back