Meat-free Impossible Burger is safe to eat, FDA declares

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Forward-looking: Combine the Impossible Burger with Creator's burger-making robots and you've got one of the most technically advanced burgers in town. The question is - would you eat a genetically engineered burger made by a machine?

The Food and Drug Administration has issued a no-questions letter to Impossible Foods for the key ingredient found in its plant-based Impossible Burger.

The ingredient in question, a protein called soy leghemoglobin, is normally found in the roots of soy plants. It carries an iron-containing molecule called heme which gives the meat alternative that familiar meat-like taste (it even bleeds like the real thing). But because soy leghemoglobin isn’t something humans normally eat, the FDA had some additional questions when Impossible Foods voluntarily applied for a GRAS, or “generally recognized as safe,” review in 2014.

After submitting additional testing data including a stringent rat feeding study, the FDA has finally given soy leghemoglobin its seal of approval.

“We have no questions at this time regarding Impossible Foods’ conclusion that soy leghemoglobin preparation is GRAS under its intended conditions of use to optimize flavor in ground beef analogue products intended to be cooked,” the FDA said.

Impossible Foods founder and CEO Pat Brown told Wired that from a legal standpoint, the ruling doesn’t change anything as they’ve been free to sell the product all along. But from a perception standpoint, Brown said, it’s really important.

The Impossible Burger is already available in nearly 3,000 locations across the US and Hong Kong. You can get it at select Fatburger, Hopdoddy, The Counter, Umami Burger and White Castle restaurants. According to the company, producing the Impossible Burger uses about 75 percent less water, generates about 87 percent less greenhouse gases and requires nearly 95 percent less land than conventional ground beef sourced from cows.

Lead image via Isai Rocha, Foodbeast

Permalink to story.

“According to the company, producing the Impossible Burger uses about 75 percent less water, generates about 87 percent less greenhouse gases and requires nearly 95 percent less land than conventional ground beef sourced from cows.”

But tastes about 100% worse than real beef.... if you’re someone who doesn’t eat meat, I respect that - just don’t eat meat... but if you MUST have a burger, EAT A BURGER!!

Last edited:
According to the company, producing the Impossible Burger uses about 75 percent less water, generates about 87 percent less greenhouse gases and requires nearly 95 percent less land than conventional ground beef sourced from cows.
That's nice and all, but where are the important numbers (and do these have the proper context)?

Like how much of those numbers are only referring to ground beef (used to make burgers), instead of the whole harvest from the cow (since there's more to the cow than just burgers)? Would certainly make it look more impressive if the context is narrowed.

Or how much it currently costs to grow and harvest the plants (and it's other ingredients) compared to conventional beef? Which leads to the price of the burgers (having 3,000 locations with it should give a decent estimate at how competitive it can be priced).

Or most importantly, as it compares directly to a beef burger, is the taste and texture comparably good? I've had a substitute meat burger before, but the texture and density wasn't right (however, the seasonings were done right).

Still don't know what the human digestive system will handle it. Then again we already eat so much other junk that isn't good for us. XD

That's what this answered. Rats have a very similar digestive tract, and its already available at 3,000 locations for the past few years. The human digestive system handles it just fine when cooked as a burger - which is pretty much the only way you can cook this.

“According to the company, producing the Impossible Burger uses about 75 percent less water, generates about 87 percent less greenhouse gases and requires nearly 95 percent less land than conventional ground beef sourced from cows.”
But tastes about 100% worse than real beef.... if you’re someone who doesn’t eat meat, I respect that - just don’t eat meat... but if you MUST have a burger, EAT A BURGER!!
Have you had one??

People will eat it if a) it tastes good and b) they don't call it 'genetically engineered' They need to call it 'natural plant-based' or something.

Of course the beef farmers will probably put up a stink and get the FDA to force them to label them as 'genetically modified.' Genetically modified food is 100% safe, but that doesn't stop people from preferring anything that says 'organic' and 'natural' on it.

Personally - I'd try one. No one orders an 800 calorie burger for the nutrition, so it's not like we should care about getting less protein or anything.

Have you had one??
Actually yes - had one last year on vacation.... my wife can't stand beef and we were at White Castle - so we each had one (mine was under protest, but if you want to remain married, you make small sacrifices!)... we BOTH agreed they tasted "meh" - not nearly as good as a real burger (my wife prefers chicken burgers).

Pretty much any time someone advertises something as "tastes just like the original" --> EAT THE ORIGINAL!!

If you must have something healthier, eat something else.... That goes for "diet drinks" (Coke did NOT "nail it"), soy burgers, artificial sweeteners, etc.

I'd try it. I'm not against plant based alternatives as long as they taste good. I've had some soy burgers that tasted better than some cheap real beef burgers. It's been my experiance good ground beef will always be better than a good(insert alternative) burger, but some lousy beef products can easily be beaten by their alternatives. Bought some beef patties at Walmart the other week and damn near had to throw them out. That said, the good meat alternatives are still more expensive than the good real meat products.

I don't know, we have milk that contains no milk, we have eggs that have no cholesterol, we have political figures that have no sense at all ..... so whats wrong with this burger? After seeing so many "sandwish makers" that pick their noses, sneeze on the food and use dirty tools, this would seem to be a major improvement .... so, who's currently making and selling them? I'll try anything at least once ......

Well I was under the impression that this is for people opposed to eating animals. Not necessarily for health heads.
Yes it is... and if you’re opposed to eating animals, maybe just don’t eat burgers.... there are plenty of vegetarian options that don’t feel obligated to mimic meat products...

According to the company, producing the Impossible Burger uses about 75 percent less water, generates about 87 percent less greenhouse gases and requires nearly 95 percent less land than conventional ground beef sourced from cows.
That's nice and all, but where are the important numbers (and do these have the proper context)?

Like how much of those numbers are only referring to ground beef (used to make burgers), instead of the whole harvest from the cow (since there's more to the cow than just burgers)? Would certainly make it look more impressive if the context is narrowed.

Or how much it currently costs to grow and harvest the plants (and it's other ingredients) compared to conventional beef? Which leads to the price of the burgers (having 3,000 locations with it should give a decent estimate at how competitive it can be priced).

Or most importantly, as it compares directly to a beef burger, is the taste and texture comparably good? I've had a substitute meat burger before, but the texture and density wasn't right (however, the seasonings were done right).
Exactly,
Cow > feed > water > Slaughterhouse = Meat (more than just burgers)
Soy > Til > Plant > Water > harvest = Soy (just soy)

Exactly,
Cow > feed > water > Slaughterhouse = Meat (more than just burgers)
Soy > Til > Plant > Water > harvest = Soy (just soy)

lol no. do you know what they feed those cows? SOY! so take your second line, and put it before your first line, and now you have reality

but this is great news because ground beef tastes like dog ****. most people are used to it, but once you dont eat it for a while, then try some, you realize that it is some of the worst tasting, unhealthy crap you can put into your body. "but muh testosterone. I dont want boobs!" GTFO there is no evidence supporting any of that, and most people take in far more estrogen from other things you eat than you would from soy. what do you think they pump into those dairy and beef cows to make them live unnaturally long lives and produce more? HORMONES!

and if anyone here gives a crap about climate change, you should know that factory farming IS THE WORST OFFENDER. more than all the cars and planes in the world. look it up. your meat eating is killing the planet.

if anyone wants sources for any of this, I will be glad to oblige

I'd take it over the growth hormone, steroid and antibiotic ridden beef we have in the USA. Oh yeah and they made our cows cannibals until it resulted in mad cow disease, forcing a herbivore to eat meat is just odd.

Last edited:
I would eat it, why not? The crap some companies put into their real beef patties is surely worse than what is in this.

If it tastes good and is fine for me, then sure :)

I'd take it over the growth hormone, steroid and antibiotic ridden beef we have in the USA. Oh yeah and they made our cows cannibals until it resulted in mad cow disease, forcing a herbivore to eat meat is just odd.
I stay away from "conventional" beef like all of it has hoof and mouth disease. I like my beef grass-fed and/or organic. The fat profile is completely different, and some beef produces in that way has an herbal taste to it. In addition, the energy input for grass-fed/organic beef is nowhere near that for conventional beef. To me, conventional beef = not fit for human consumption.

And then, there is bison. Yum!!! For all the beef lovers, try Bison! It's like beef, only better, IMO.

The best "fake" burgers I have had are Boca Burgers. They taste very close to a grilled burger. Unless I had no other choice, I would not eat one of the burgers from this article. Who knows what kind of chemical crap was used to make them.
City folk... SMH
Absolutely. They have no idea what real beef is, and I am a City Folk, but I prefer dealing with small farms as what they produce, assuming grass-fed and/or organic, cannot be beat, IMO.

I hate seeing that daft vegan myth trotted out for this sort of thing. A lot of livestock eats grass that we can't. Grass that is watered by rain that would otherwise simply flow down the rivers and into the sea, and often grows in places that are not suitable for any other form of farming.

The truth is that if we all went vegan there simply wouldn't be enough arable land to produce the food we'd need.

I hate seeing that daft vegan myth trotted out for this sort of thing. A lot of livestock eats grass that we can't. Grass that is watered by rain that would otherwise simply flow down the rivers and into the sea, and often grows in places that are not suitable for any other form of farming.

The truth is that if we all went vegan there simply wouldn't be enough arable land to produce the food we'd need.
At least they made the distinction "conventional ground beef". Perhaps they were not specifically talking about factory-farmed beef, however, I absolutely agree with you about cows that are allowed to pasture, especially if that grass is grown without chemical fertilizers.

I believe it is in Michael Pollan's book, "The Omnivore's Dilemma" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Omnivore's_Dilemma where he describes that if cows are rotated around various grazing fields, the fields that have been grazed will be left in better condition than before the cows grazed on that grass, and this is entirely through natural processes that proper grazing practices enhance.

Not only that, but the human body needs proteins from meats that are absolutely not found elsewhere.

Back