Memory upgrade problem - can you help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone help?
Just bought and installed an extra 128Mb memory. Successfully plugged in, but on rebooting: 'Windows Protection Error While Initializing Device VPICD You Need to Restart Your Computer'. But restarting doesn't help. In fact all that works is removing the new RAM!
I'm running a Compaq Deskpro PIII 450Hz on Windows 98SE, in case that makes a difference.
I notice an earlier similar thread :suspiciou suggested that Compaq might require dedicated Compaq memory???
Thanks in advance
L

leaksandwich said:
Can anyone help?
I notice an earlier similar thread :suspiciou suggested that Compaq might require dedicated Compaq memory???
Yes, that is a very probable cause. In any case, to make sure the memory is working properly, install the new Ram by itself, download MEMTEST, burn the bootable ISO, boot on it & let it test the memory for a day or two (unless errrors show up quickly after the start).

Thanks

Thanks for your feedback, that sounds like it's worth a shot. Will do...

PC fails to boot altogether with just the new memory. I wonder whether this helps diagnose whether it's faulty or just incompatible with Compaq??

Crucial can't find me!

Many thanks for the advice.
Unfortunately Crucial's diagnostic software was unable to determine the Compaq model I'm using, and the list of possible options on their website doesn't include what's printed on the side of my PC (Compaq Deskpro EP P400 3/64/NT). Miond you as I bought the PC secondhand what's inside isn't necessarily what it says on the tin, as it were.

The memory already fitted is 'DIMM #1:J1', 128 MB and what I've bought is 128Mb PC100 MOT CL3 unbuffered DIMM.

And in case it helps...
Compaq Deskpro EP/SB Series
Board: Compaq 041Ch
Serial Number: 8928CMB22497
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
BIOS: Compaq 686T2 02/08/99

Cheers!

Thanks

Fortunately I've managed to arrange a refund for the incompatible memory I bought from PCNextDay, as they've agreed its incompatible.
I'll give Crucial another go. Do you know if it matters whether it's 'ECC' or 'non-parity' (£10 cheaper)?
Cheers for you help - a virtual guiness to you.
Leaksandwich

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back