Mercury Mail Server problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to ask an undoubtedly basic question but I have been searching for the solution for a while now and found nothing.

I use Mercury/32 V4 running on a Win98SE machine to retrive mail for 10 users. It works absolutely fine.

...BUT, when Mercury retrieves mail it often puts a message in the Distributing POP3 client window about non-local messages, e.g.:

24 messages received
22 messages successfully delivered to xxxx@blabla-net.com
2 non-local messages ignored

It's the last line that gives me the problem. I cannot find out what these 'non-local' messages are. They might be genuine mails that are slightly incorrectly addressed, e.g. to petr instead of peter.

My questions are:

1. How can I tell what these non-local messages actually are

2. What does Mercury do with the non-local messages? It obviously retrieves them from the ISP but I can't find them locally.

3. How can I set up a 'catch all' mailbox, i.e. send all mail for unknown users to xyz mailbox?

I'm pulling my hair out - please help.

Pete

Never EVER put your real email-address on a forum!
You'll get SPAMMED!
(removed it)

Thanks for the reply, and for the email address tip although the address was subtly altered and not 100% real.

I've looked at the references but neither seem to help me, sorry. I'm not using Spamwall and the FAQ is only aimed at error messages.

What I'm trying to do is either a) find out where Mercury puts messages whose addresses it doesn't recognise or preferably b) put a rule somewhere that tells Mercury "if the 'to' address is not recognised then send the message to xyz mailbox"

I can see how to create aliases and to forward mails around to other mailboxes but they all rely on the fact that you know who the addressee is. I cannot for the life of me see the 'address unknown' option. I've used various other mailservers, FTGate for example and the 'unknown user' option seems to be fairly standard but not apparently in Mercury.

Pete

Mercury 32 Mail Server Configuration

A company is using Mercury 32 mail server for my company. And all the email are checked using Outlook Express. Now, they would like to change to a new hosting company. As I know, I need to change the Outlook Expres Configuration for SMTP and POP3 server. Do I need to change any configuration on Mercury 32? Or I dont have to do any configuration to the Mercury 32 as it is used for internal mail sending.

Hope I can get some reply and guideliness as soon as I can. Thank you.

^_^

I would assume that Mercury needs to be modified to reflect the new host-name in both POP3 and SMTP, same as the mail-clients.
RTFM!

You can see "unknowns" in the log files, but I don't think it saves them.
Does it support a generic-local-domain-user-default-mailbox ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back