Microsoft abandons Windows Phone YouTube app after issues with Google

Scorpus

Staff member

microsoft windows phone youtube google youtube windows phone app wp8

When it comes to YouTube, Google and Microsoft haven't exactly been the best of friends. Microsoft first tried to push a significant update to the Windows Phone YouTube app back in May, before Google blocked it for not adhering to its guidelines for advertising; another update was pushed a few weeks later, and it too was blocked.

Now it appears Microsoft has given up trying to resolve the issues Google had with the application, abandoning the old app for a 'new' version that immediately redirects users to the mobile YouTube website. Features such as account management, video downloads and notifications are gone in favor of an experience that doesn't even qualify as a real app.

While the old version of Microsoft's YouTube app doesn't appear to be coming back, there are several other working YouTube app alternatives that Windows Phone users can download. MetroTube sticks out as a crowd favorite, but there's also myTube, PrimeTube and several others available on the Windows Phone Store.

The removal of a decent Microsoft-made YouTube app for Windows Phone is just the latest development in a series of Google-related issues with the platform. Google Account synchronization is still somewhat broken on the platform due to Google's move to end support for Exchange ActiveSync, and there's a serious lack of official apps for Google services that both Android and iOS users can currently enjoy.

Permalink to story.

Scroogled by ScooTube. I hate Google's approach about supporting MSFT. I get that they are competitors and essentially looking to replace the "Windows" at home with Chrome OS, but come on. You can't support OS (iOS) and blatantly block the other from providing it's own experience for your services. Another example is Google opting not to develop Windows 8 apps, but designing Chrome to run Chrome apps within Windows 8.

Awww, Google doesn't feel like playing nice with their competitor Microsoft and helping them grow, so they're the bad guy. I mean, it's not like Microsoft is running a laughable "Scroogled" advertising campaign directly throwing gmail under the bus to promote Outlook.com, while conveniently ignoring the fact that Microsoft's own Hotmail (which is now part of Outlook.com) has been an ad and spam-ridden cluster forever... Wait, what? They're doing that? Slamming Google directly, yet whining about Google not helping them out? Wow!

Seriously, though, I could care less about the trivial app compatibility wars here... I firmly believe in the "you will reap what you sow" parable. It'll be true for Microsoft now (and in the future), and sooner or later it'll be true for Google, Apple, and everyone else. Bad attitudes and decisions eventually come back to bite your *** later... Usually.

Awww, Google doesn't feel like playing nice with their competitor Microsoft and helping them grow, so they're the bad guy. I mean, it's not like Microsoft is running a laughable "Scroogled" advertising campaign directly throwing gmail under the bus to promote Outlook.com, while conveniently ignoring the fact that Microsoft's own Hotmail (which is now part of Outlook.com) has been an ad and spam-ridden cluster forever... Wait, what? They're doing that? Slamming Google directly, yet whining about Google not helping them out? Wow!
So because Microsoft is running an advertising campaign against a competitor's services (a common business practice), then Google should get away with this? If Microsoft blocked Chome from Windows (desktop OS) the picture would be very different eh?

Man, that was a disappointment. I saw the first 4 words and thought finally, but then I read the rest of the sentence.

Man, that was a disappointment. I saw the first 4 words and thought finally, but then I read the rest of the sentence.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, got ourselves a funny man over here...

I take it you don't use a windows phone? So ultimately, and do tell, why do you care if you don't intend to use it? Should we all just abandon choice and suck on googles teat like so many have done already?

So because Microsoft is running an advertising campaign against a competitor's services (a common business practice), then Google should get away with this? If Microsoft blocked Chome from Windows (desktop OS) the picture would be very different eh?

Well, considering that would be a completely different situation (blocking a specific program randomly, vs blocking a program for not adhering to specific guidelines for accessing an IP)... Yes.

But, I sense you missed my point (and probably didn't even read the second paragraph). In business, as in life, playing nice often gets you much farther than publicly gutting someone and trying to throw them under a bus. If you are complaining about feeling picked on and/or whining about not getting any help, while simultaneously repeatedly crotch-kicking the person you expect to help you, odds are you will not be warmly received. Hence my "reap what you sow" comment. Microsoft aggressively markets against Google, and gets no help from them. Google chooses not to take the high road and ease up on MS, and we can just sit and wait to see what repercussions develop later... Even in big business, karma has the potential to be a *****.

Back