Microsoft and Canon sign patent cross-licensing deal

Himanshu Arora

Staff

With an aim to strengthen their alliance and further their collaboration on research and development, Microsoft and Canon yesterday announced that they have shaken hands on a patent cross-licensing agreement, which will give the companies access to each other's patent portfolios.

"This collaborative approach with Canon allows us to deliver inventive technologies that benefit consumers around the world", said Microsoft's intellectual property manager Nick Psyhogeosin in a statement.

Although the terms of the deal as well as the type of patents being shared remain undisclosed, the companies did say that the agreement covers a broad range of products and services including certain digital imaging and mobile consumer products.

Both Microsoft and Canon have some of the largest patent portfolios in the world, with the former filing 2,000 patents and the latter filing 3000 patents in 2012 alone.

The Redmond-based company, which has inked more than 1,100 licensing agreements since it launched its IP licensing program back in 2003, believes cooperative licensing is an effective way to speed up innovation while reducing patent disputes.

Patent cross-licensing is not a new phenomenon. Several tech giants including Apple, Samsung, Google, Cisco, Ericsson, and more, over the years have entered into similar agreements with colleagues as well as competitors.

Back in January, Twitter entered into a cross-licensing agreement with IBM. Late last year, Apple also inked a similar deal with Android smartphone maker HTC to settle a patent dispute.

Permalink to story.

Its good to know canon has finally given in to microsoft and are finally paying microsoft for there camera patents which we really know microsoft created the camera not canon...

Its good to know canon has finally given in to microsoft and are finally paying microsoft for there camera patents which we really know microsoft created the camera not canon...
Apparently my last comment to you was too harsh in the eyes of the moderators of this site and thus deleted, so instead I will politely ask you this time to re-read the article, comprehend the contents and then reflect upon your comment. If you still come to the same conclusion, rinse and repeat until the outcome differs...

So, is there any chance that 300/350D will receive drivers for Windows 8?

Apparently my last comment to you was too harsh in the eyes of the moderators of this site and thus deleted, so instead I will politely ask you this time to re-read the article, comprehend the contents and then reflect upon your comment. If you still come to the same conclusion, rinse and repeat until the outcome differs...

LOOL my outcome is the exact same, you mean like how your gonna keep on trying to make googles outcome differ with the android case and windows start menu? :D

Also these mods love me they didnt do it out of spite that your a guest violating the rules they did it because they know bad press about me is bad press about techspot ;)

We all gotta bow down to somebody right? :D

What all of you have missed is the fact that Camera RAW file structure, (patented, I think), changes from camera to camera, month to month, and year to year. So, if Canon and Microsoft share those codecs, it can only help users of those cameras to be able to view actual images of those file types in Windows, in lieu of some silly icon.

Yeah OK. And just so you know, George Eastman is turning over in his grave after this post of yours.

What all of you have missed is the fact that Camera RAW file structure, (patented, I think), changes from camera to camera, month to month, and year to year. So, if Canon and Microsoft share those codecs, it can only help users of those cameras to be able to view actual images of those file types in Windows, in lieu of some silly icon.
Does this mean that Canon got a RAW deal?

Back