Microsoft brings ribbon UI to Windows 8 file manager

Jos

Staff

Microsoft has detailed a few more changes coming to Explorer in the next version of Windows. In a long blog post over at the Building Windows 8 blog, Microsoft Director of Program Management Alex Simons announced that the company will bring the 'ribbon' UI to its ubiquitous file manager tool in an effort to provide easy access to hundreds of features and highlight a few 'hidden gems', all while respecting Explorer's heritage as a powerful file manager.

Simons says the decision to redesign Explorer is based on opt-in data from hundreds of Windows users showing that, despite having over 200 commands, only ten of those represent 81.8% of Explorer's total usage and only two of the top 10 commands are featured prominently in Vista and Windows 7's command bar.

Microsoft wants to address these inefficiencies in the next version of Windows, and though Simons acknowledges that Explorer's new look might meet opposition from power users, he believes that the redesign has its benefits. He also promised keyboard shortcuts for every command in the ribbon, UI customizations with the quick access toolbar, and like the ribbon in other Microsoft products, the one in Explorer will be collapsible to save screen real estate when needed.

Check out the video below where Alex Simons goes through a few of the changes in the next Windows Explorer:

Permalink to story.

Personally I don't see an issue with it, but I prefer the cleaner look win7's explorer offers, also there will be many who probably wouldn't want it.

I like it. The ribbon US is quite user friendly; I see this as a way for people not so good with computers, feel a lot more comfortable when exploring/managing files and folders. Most people already use Office for work, so this shouldn't be a problem.

Although, I would probably still use the older design. I presume they won't just get rid of the minimalistic design; sure the ribbon UI will be on by default when it ships, but I'm positive you can bring it back.

I'm on the fence here. On one hand, I prefer the smooth, clean look of Win7, but on the other, it's got some nice features I could see my self using. I'm still not 100% convinced on buying Win8, though. I haven't been wowed yet :p

Im going to need a Windows XP functionality modification to explorer.exe, or an alternative to the file manager. I hope they dont make things even harder to find, I feel like they did that in Windows 7 to some things.

bad idea . the ribbon is a very over engineered look that is terrible to use.

Wow I just watched the video, they're re-innovating Office 2003 into Windows 2012 (8). Such garbage.. I've always been a windows advocate but its as if they're moving at a snails base in a pathetic direction. I am impressed by Windows 7's stability and speed, low hardware requirements, and multi-core support, but beyond that things arent looking too bright to me as a power user.

Launching cmd as an admin from the ribbon bar? HOLY CRAP THATS AWESOME. I can already do the same thing on the start menu by setting up a quick launch toolbar of my applications folder. More garbage taking up space on my screen, how wonderful. I hope Google is working on a smokin' great OS or I'm going to start looking into Linux distros at this rate.

---agissi--- said:
Wow I just watched the video, they're re-innovating Office 2003 into Windows 2012 (8). Such garbage.. I've always been a windows advocate but its as if they're moving at a snails base in a pathetic direction. I am impressed by Windows 7's stability and speed, low hardware requirements, and multi-core support, but beyond that things arent looking too bright to me as a power user.

Launching cmd as an admin from the ribbon bar? HOLY CRAP THATS AWESOME. I can already do the same thing on the start menu by setting up a quick launch toolbar of my applications folder. More garbage taking up space on my screen, how wonderful. I hope Google is working on a smokin' great OS or I'm going to start looking into Linux distros at this rate.
I hardly think an objection to implementing the ribbon in files explorer is any reason to ditch windows, but thats just me. If your waiting for google to bring out anything competitive then you will be waiting a very long time. Your best bet is with Linux, if your that upset. FYI The ribbon is collapsible

I am digging the tabs. Good job Microsoft!

POLL: What do you think of Windows Explore 8?
Vote: http://www.wepolls.com/p/2104561

I'm digging that they are putting the ribbon UI in explorer. Only thing is for me when I first used it in office 2010, it looked cool, but I found everything just as easily as if I still was using the whole 'File, Edit, View, etc" system or the whole UI system. Don't really know if using the ribbon UI in explorer will...help much to most people? I dunno.

I am a fan of simplistic windows. Ive been using windows for so long everytime they change the location of something it bugs the crap out of me

That's all good I guess... we'll see.

I still want my free disk space back on the status bar though. Why the hell did you remove that in 7?

NNNNOOOOO!!!!! Not the ribbon! I have been using Office 2007 at work for over two years, and I still have trouble finding the simplest of settings that I could easily find via menus in earlier versions of Office.

@mrtraver, what ever happened to simple menus with words right?
@ikesmasher, +2 for sure
@aj_the_kidd, thats great its collapsible but then whats new? Its as if MS arent in the right direction. We'll see when we use the final product.

I'm one of those people who always turns on the menu items, and generally likes this sort of thing, so I'm kinda open to playing around with it.

But I can see how other people would find this really annoying. It seems to take up a lot of real estate. \

This ribbon would be perfect for that touchscreen keyboard that I keep talking about. You select stuff with your mouse, then you hit the appropriate button on the touchscreen, etc. It can't be that hard to make a long rectangular LCD, why hasn't someone made one. Companies release tons of crappy products every year, why not something like this? bah humbug.

The ribbon is used by all MS office products so I am guessing this decision to go down the ribbon direction was to keep some consistency amongst its products. As for new, what else do you need from the files explorer?

I hated the ribbon too at first, but after a while i got use to it, chances are you will too. Its not going anywhere you might as well embrace it, plus other non-Microsoft products are slowly starting to use the same concept as well.

lawfer said:
Although, I would probably still use the older design. I presume they won't just get rid of the minimalistic design; sure the ribbon UI will be on by default when it ships, but I'm positive you can bring it back.

I am kind of neutral on the issue as illustrated in my original comment mainly because with a little effort anyone can get used to new concepts/stuff. But this will be a good feature to have nonetheless :)

As long as they retain an option to go all minimalistic I don't mind, even the Win7 toolbar is a total waste of space for me. Everything on there is easier done by rightclick menus or through common keyboard shortcuts...

Doubt I'll ever upgrade from 7 unless they do some major under the hood improvements though.

The Rapture of Windows 8, and What it Means to You....

For those of you religious folk who have been waiting for the second coming......, wait no more.. Windows 8 is it...! Jeezus Gates rides again, shepherding the second coming of Vista..........:confused:...Hooray..! Oops, I meant, "Oy Vay"...!

. Companies release tons of crappy products every year, why not something like this? bah humbug.
Tru-dat, but it's not really intentional. Tomorrow's dumpster deposits will all be made of yesterday's, "it seemed like good idea at the time technology breakthroughs"...:rolleyes: That said, I do think M$ releases crap on purpose, to make themselves look good with their next release. Did you ever notice how much fresher the air smells after the fart goes away....?

No word about 'Compare directory' or similar.
How long we need to wait?

The ribbon UI will be terrible for those who don't use MS Office 2007 or above.
That was my exact experience.

Back